A&H

Goalkeeper Six second law.

The Referee Store
Only once. Probably won't ever again! It didn't end well.
Is it a cation though? Punishing it in the first place provokes palpitations, but the sanction (or no sanction) is a banana skin too!

USB? If not without looking, I'm struggling to think of the offence, but I'm sure there'll be one.

Main thing to do is ensure no surprises.

A big loud "lets go keeper" followed by another one straight after if they are holding on to it, means that after that if you penalise for it, everyone is expecting it.

That's a big difference from counting to 6 in your head, then blowing the whistle to award an IFK

A big loud "lets go keeper" followed by another one straight after if they are holding on to it, means that after that if you penalise for it, everyone is expecting it.

That's a big difference from counting to 6 in your head, then blowing the whistle to award an IFK

Absolutely. The time I penalised, the keeper had been reminded on a couple of occasions. In the incident I shouted to get on with it but the keeper then walked 10 yards across the penalty area so, although everyone heard me they were still surprised when the indirect free kick was given. What didn't help me was the free kick taker just wellied it and the ball clearly touched another player before going into the goal! Cue carnage!

Is it a caution though? Punishing it in the first place provokes palpitations, but the sanction (or no sanction) is a banana skin too!
In and of itself, no - it's simply an indirect free kick. The thing is that (as shown here) most referees wouldn't penalise this until after warnings have been given so I suppose it could then be seen almost as a form of dissent.

Like this exanation because the 6 second law is ignored because 'football expects' you not to punish it. But warning the keeper you turn that around to 'football expects' you to punish it.

I recall seeing it called exactly once in a professional game. I believe it was the Canadian women's keeper, who was routinely holding the ball for 10+ seconds and had been warned. I think the call was at about 12 seconds. I believe it was WC or WC qualified against the US the cup before the recent one.

I've never called it--most keepers understand that "let's go keep" is a warning that the keep is on thin ice and needs to let go of the ball.

It's one of those laws that is universally ignored unless the keeper really is taking it to the extreme. Do you really want to be the referee that sticks his head above the parapet and penalises it, especially if it surprises both teams? Remember that if you stick your head above the parapet it will inevitably get shot off … :)

It's one of those laws that is universally ignored unless the keeper really is taking it to the extreme. Do you really want to be the referee that sticks his head above the parapet and penalises it, especially if it surprises both teams? Remember that if you stick your head above the parapet it will inevitably get shot off … :)

If the 6 second rule is ever to be tightly enforced, it's going to need to start at the top. In the games most of us do, "let's go" is always going to be enough enforcement as to what the Game expects--unless you have a stupid GK who decides to ignore the reminder, in which case he's made a choice to give up the IFK.

As I posted previously - WBA goalkeeper took 22 seconds the other week to release.

12 -15 is perfectly normal in the Championship. And no its not my fast counting - there is a clock behind each goal at QPR.

I called one in added time the other day. Last game, opponents needed points to avoid relegation, 1-2 down.

Teammates had been warned, keeper had been warned, keeper kept the ball in hand, I got got to a slow 9 in my head, warned loudly, then he paused, faked to kick, I whistled and yellow carded.

I put the card as USB. IDFK just inside the box. Free kick missed. One team champions, the other relegated. It wasn’t even that dramatic.

Extra context was the right back had played silly bu****s with a throw a few mins before and had given him an angry warning and my hardest stare-rare for me;) So the YC for the GK made sense.

I called one in added time the other day. Last game, opponents needed points to avoid relegation, 1-2 down.

Teammates had been warned, keeper had been warned, keeper kept the ball in hand, I got got to a slow 9 in my head, warned loudly, then he paused, faked to kick, I whistled and yellow carded.

I put the card as USB. IDFK just inside the box. Free kick missed. One team champions, the other relegated. It wasn’t even that dramatic.

Extra context was the right back had played silly bu****s with a throw a few mins before and had given him an angry warning and my hardest stare-rare for me;) So the YC for the GK made sense.
What was the actual offence you cautioned for?

I’ve called the ones that advance 3 yards out of their box on a fly kick, that was far more common than the six second lark. Hated it when the ‘crowd’ or players counted it out. That was irritating

Last edited:
Like everything, if the keeper is really taking the mick, have a really obvious public word when you get the oppurtunity, then if he does it again and you penalise, his own players and manager will blame him. You gave him an oppurtunity and he ignored you for all to see

I don't think a 6 second violation remotely supports a caution. And the IFK in the PA is already a pretty substantial punishment.

Back