A&H

Goalkeeper off line PK

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
Quick question

Does the goalkeeper have to have both feet on or behind the line on a PK or just one foot. I got told it is just one foot but then a Throw In has to have 2 feet on.

The Referee Store
Next season they have clarified that the one foot can not stant behind the line aswell I think .

Currently, both feet need to be on the line.

When the changes go into effect, one foot must be on or in line with the goal line--there is no restriction on whether the other foot is in front or behind the line.

Of course, it has been a long time since being on the line rigorously enforced.

Currently, both feet need to be on the line.

When the changes go into effect, one foot must be on or in line with the goal line--there is no restriction on whether the other foot is in front or behind the line.

Of course, it has been a long time since being on the line rigorously enforced.
It seems ambiguous.

• The goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line when the kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line.

Does that mean no part of either foot can be behind the line?

"In line with the goal line" means the GK can jump on the line when the kick is taken - and presumably can hop with one leg on the line and the other extended sideways or in front of the line....

Agree with ambiguity. I think it means, at the very least, you can not have both feet on the ground behind the line. But it could mean not even one foot can be on the ground behind the line. A similar ambiguity for kick off. What is the definition of being in your own hlaf?

"In line with" is a little more clear. I think it means it can be on the line or in the air above the line.

Agree with ambiguity. I think it means, at the very least, you can not have both feet on the ground behind the line. But it could mean not even one foot can be on the ground behind the line. A similar ambiguity for kick off. What is the definition of being in your own hlaf?

"In line with" is a little more clear. I think it means it can be on the line or in the air above the line.
Are they going to ignore this rule too? Asking for a friend 👍

It does. The explanation is that it covers jumping. But it is amending a rule that's not enforced to one that's still not going to be enforced.

It does. The explanation is that it covers jumping. But it is amending a rule that's not enforced to one that's still not going to be enforced.

The last time they amended the law to give GKs more freedom, there was a bit more enforcement. Was it the late 80s when it changed from being stationary to being permitted to move sideways but not forward. At the time, I understood the loosening to be intended to coincide with less laxity on moving forward. (I think this was after Briana Scurry was out at the goal area line during the WWC without being called.) So we'll have to see if there is any instructions coming down from FIFA to refs that they expect the remaining rule to be applied more tightly this time.

The last time they amended the law to give GKs more freedom, there was a bit more enforcement. Was it the late 80s when it changed from being stationary to being permitted to move sideways but not forward. At the time, I understood the loosening to be intended to coincide with less laxity on moving forward. (I think this was after Briana Scurry was out at the goal area line during the WWC without being called.) So we'll have to see if there is any instructions coming down from FIFA to refs that they expect the remaining rule to be applied more tightly this time.

As there any mention of encroachment in the VAR protocols? Tells you all you need to know.

As there any mention of encroachment in the VAR protocols? Tells you all you need to know.

More tightly and rigidly are completely different. There is a lot of room to call GK encroachment more tightly before we get to strict enforcement--and you can't use VAR unless you want strict enforcement (and I can't imagine anyone really wants that).

Back