A&H

Goalkeeper dropping ball

james813

Level 6 Referee
Keeper is in possession of the ball in hands after being collected from opposition player. The ball is accidentally dropped and the ball rolls of slightly. The keeper gathers the ball again.

Would this be classed as an IDFK for 2 touches or no offence as accidentally dropped. Does the keeper technically still have control? Is same as bouncing ball in hands? Any thoughts? Thanks

The Referee Store
I recall in a premier league game the goalkeeper is bouncing the ball, accidentally bounces it off his foot so it bobbles forward - he scoops it up and the ref blows for an IDFK.

Personally, I would go IDFK if the goal keeper loses control of the ball through accident or not.

(Unless its an actual player interfering in any way, then this would be a different kettle of fish depending on what team the interfering player was on!)

At a professional level? I'm quite fine with that being an IFK.

At a U16 amateur level if it's an accident, I'd be more inclined to let it go.

In short, for something like this, it's all about skill level and expectation of what a player has the ability to actually do.

In short, for something like this, it's all about skill level and expectation of what a player has the ability to actually do.

Ha this made me chuckle. I agree with what you are saying, but what a player has the ability to actually do, are we now saying we dont think a goalkeeper can even hold onto the ball! haha!

Back