A&H

Goalkeeper clip, Guardian website

This was on HIVE a new resource for Supply League Referees and Observers (and above) provided by The FA. This is the official comment on this clip. As it's the official clip, it represents The FA's expectations in this situation if it ever happens to you...

Once again, this is a very interesting clip with some really important learning messages for the Referee. As such, it’s vital that we share this kind of content to the wider groups so that we can educate and develop our thought processes should this kind of incident happen in one of our games.

As a Referee our alarm bells should be ringing the moment we see the attacker approaching the goalkeeper. It is very late in the game and essentially we should be wanting to close the game off safely and securely and not wanting to jeopardise the match control that we may have built up.

Whilst some may argue that the attacker does not intend to challenge for the ball and accidentally slips into the challenge – his actions clearly make contact with the goalkeeper, in this particular case causing a temporary fault with his equipment (his footwear). So, therefore and understandably our practical recommendations for the Referee to apply within the laws of the game are as follows:

• Recognise the attackers intentions as ‘careless’
• Stop the game
• Award the free kick to the defending team
• Draw closer to the incident and give proximity to both goalkeeper and attacker
• Explain to the attacker that whilst they might not be his intentions, the actions are still careless and that you have a responsibility to award the free kick.
• Allow the goalkeeper the time to correct any equipment before restarting the game.

We can understand that in this clip the Referee may have deemed that because the Goalkeeper was still in possession of the ball he was ‘technically’ unaffected by the actions of the attacker and was therefore happy for play to continue.

Additionally, we also recognise that on occasion, teams may prefer to continue with the game from a goalkeeper ‘fly kick’ rather than a goal kick/free kick restart. But on this occasion that adds to the complexity of the thought process when the simplest, safest and most practical thing to do is to stop the game and award the free kick.

We often talk about awarding and giving what the game expects in these kind of circumstances, for the Referee to show an understanding and empathy for the game. Collectively, we can all agree that nobody at this game expected for the Referee to act/not act in the way that he did let alone permit the restart which lead to a goal. As Referees and Observers we could gauge our actions by asking ourselves a very simple question in exceptional incidents of this nature – Does the game expect this ?

Match control, game safety and demonstrating an empathy for the game is essential here and implementing the practical guidelines above will see Referees adopt a more cautious, sensible and expected approach to incidents of this nature.

Dan Meeson
FA National Referee Development Manager
I think that comes across as a little ignorant of the real-life situation. The ref is entirely entitled to decide that the attacker's tackle is either no foul or a trifling foul and to encourage the GK (who has the ball in his control and is clearly trying to waste time by making a fuss) to just get on with it. I have no problem with that decision and I think it's a little disingenuous of the person who wrote this response to simply call that a wrong decision and then discuss what should have happened if he'd made that decision "correctly".

"No foul" or "trifling foul, play on" are both valid decisions here that the referee is entitled to make. The "simplest, safest and most practical" thing might have been to stop the game, but someone at the top of the FA encouraging a referee to endorse the GK's time wasting and stop the game even if he doesn't believe there has been a foul simply for match control reasons is worrying to me.

I have no sympathy with a GK who's already bending the rules to try and waste time. He was given a clear signal to carry on by the ref, it's not his place to decide that the game should stop so he can fix an "issue" with his boots. I don't see why match control and giving the referee an easy life should trump the integrity of the laws?

The Referee Store
I think that comes across as a little ignorant of the real-life situation. The ref is entirely entitled to decide that the attacker's tackle is either no foul or a trifling foul and to encourage the GK (who has the ball in his control and is clearly trying to waste time by making a fuss) to just get on with it. I have no problem with that decision and I think it's a little disingenuous of the person who wrote this response to simply call that a wrong decision and then discuss what should have happened if he'd made that decision "correctly".

"No foul" or "trifling foul, play on" are both valid decisions here that the referee is entitled to make. The "simplest, safest and most practical" thing might have been to stop the game, but someone at the top of the FA encouraging a referee to endorse the GK's time wasting and stop the game even if he doesn't believe there has been a foul simply for match control reasons is worrying to me.

I have no sympathy with a GK who's already bending the rules to try and waste time. He was given a clear signal to carry on by the ref, it's not his place to decide that the game should stop so he can fix an "issue" with his boots. I don't see why match control and giving the referee an easy life should trump the integrity of the laws?

The person who wrote it is in charge of refereeing development in England. Given it has been shown to observers as a leaning tool, with the expected outcome being a foul, referees in England being observed know what they should be doing here .. :)

Ignorant is not the best word, arrogant is better suited and tbh most of us will have done it, stuck to our guns over something which we could have handled better, I know i have on numerous occasions.

Reactions: JH

9 out of 10 refs give that fk to the gk. Why be the 10th? No prizes given out for stubbornness.
of course match control is paramount, thats why we turn up, to control the match in front of us, and if someone is not going to be educated by the teachings of the development officer, then you need to question who indeed you are going to take your teachings from !!!!!

The person who wrote it is in charge of refereeing development in England. Given it has been shown to observers as a leaning tool, with the expected outcome being a foul, referees in England being observed know what they should be doing here .. :)
You'll note I referred to "someone at the top of the FA", so the fact the person who wrote this is senior is not a surprise to me. But that's a lot of words to essentially say "I would have given a foul here". And nothing useful to help us know what to do once the ref makes the decision he does.

Ignorant is not the best word, arrogant is better suited and tbh most of us will have done it, stuck to our guns over something which we could have handled better, I know i have on numerous occasions.
9 out of 10 refs give that fk to the gk. Why be the 10th? No prizes given out for stubbornness.
of course match control is paramount, thats why we turn up, to control the match in front of us, and if someone is not going to be educated by the teachings of the development officer, then you need to question who indeed you are going to take your teachings from !!!!!
I'm confused, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Either way, I disagree with the bit in bold (which explains the problem I have the with FA response). If you think that's reckless and are going to caution the attacker for it then yeah, you give the FK. If you consider that no foul, trifling or careless, then I think you note that the GK has the ball in his hands, you note that he's standing uninjured, you note the timewasting he's been indulging in that drew the attacker in to begin with, you probably note the match situation of the opponents needing a goal and you tell him to get on with it. Which is what this ref did and which, in the moment, is perfectly sensible.

The person who wrote the FA response is looking at what happened, seeing a controversial goal, working backwards to find a point where the ref could have got involved to prevent that controversy and then writing as if the ref made a howler by not predicting the future. @one posted earlier a list of things the ref did wrong, and aside from the fact he would have given the foul where I might not have, this is useful development advice for this ref - talking about decisions he could have created to prevent this unusual situation arising doesn't strike me as useful in the same way.

Although in this case I think it is a foul on the goalkeeper, I agree with GraemeS on the FA's response. Why spend so much time updating the granular details of laws to which one seldom has recourse when, on the very occasion those granular details come into play, referees are told to make the 'expected' call and avoid difficulty? That doesn't exactly encourage thoroughness in one's knowledge of the LOTG.

For what it is worth, I would have been taking control of the situation from the moment I had identified a handling offence, mostly because the signal and reminders about indirect free kicks usually necessitate more time than the average DFK.

@GraemeS
a) the GK is not wasting time (no restart delay) with the ball at his feet. Any player is entitled to stand there with the ball in possession for as long as they like
b) The player commits a careless foul
c) This is car crash refereeing
d) I have sympathy for the ref, as this is a mistake awaiting all of us given a moment's drop in concentration

@GraemeS
a) the GK is not wasting time (no restart delay) with the ball at his feet. Any player is entitled to stand there with the ball in possession for as long as they like
b) The player commits a careless foul
c) This is car crash refereeing
d) I have sympathy for the ref, as this is a mistake awaiting all of us given a moment's drop in concentration
A) time-wasting =/= delaying the restart. He's running down the clock when the clip starts, so as a ref, I'd be immediately inclined to be sceptical when an issue with his equipment suddenly appears. Wouldn't you?
B) maybe. Even if we accept that, the GK still has the ball in his hands and appears uninjured. I think without the benefit of hindsight, a lot of referees won't see a need to stop the game here.
C) there are things he could have done better. But the real car crash is the GK - all he had to do was boot it clear, but he screws up once trying to be cute and kill more time, and he again by not throwing the ball away and taking a yellow once the foul is given!

When you put the analysis form the FA in context it makes a lot more sense. There is a shift in National FAs all over the world towards game management in apposed to law enforcement. This doesn't mean abandoning law enforcement. Right or wrong it is the way elite and top flight refereeing is heading.

A) time-wasting =/= delaying the restart. He's running down the clock when the clip starts, so as a ref, I'd be immediately inclined to be sceptical when an issue with his equipment suddenly appears. Wouldn't you?
B) maybe. Even if we accept that, the GK still has the ball in his hands and appears uninjured. I think without the benefit of hindsight, a lot of referees won't see a need to stop the game here.
C) there are things he could have done better. But the real car crash is the GK - all he had to do was boot it clear, but he screws up once trying to be cute and kill more time, and he again by not throwing the ball away and taking a yellow once the foul is given!

This clip is only a talking point due to the referee not giving a fk to the gk
Refereeing is not just about knowing the lotg, its about knowing how to manage the game
In your grass roots, this is exactly the senario which results in refs being chased round the park, sending off xxx players for f/a, and when you hear of violence to referees, its because they stuck to their guns on incidents like this, thought they know best, and refuse to do the simple thing (because they believe in their head technically they can justify their actions).
All hell breaks loose at public park on things like this, and, am sorry to say, its because the ref brings it on themselves.
In more common terms this call is similair to ball rolling over touchline and to all and sundry in looks like a goal kick, yet,you are the only one convinced it touched defenders shoe lace and you award the corner. Then of course, boom, the corner is scored.
Making simple things difficult!

This clip is only a talking point due to the referee not giving a fk to the gk
Refereeing is not just about knowing the lotg, its about knowing how to manage the game
In your grass roots, this is exactly the senario which results in refs being chased round the park, sending off xxx players for f/a, and when you hear of violence to referees, its because they stuck to their guns on incidents like this, thought they know best, and refuse to do the simple thing (because they believe in their head technically they can justify their actions).
All hell breaks loose at public park on things like this, and, am sorry to say, its because the ref brings it on themselves.
In more common terms this call is similair to ball rolling over touchline and to all and sundry in looks like a goal kick, yet,you are the only one convinced it touched defenders shoe lace and you award the corner. Then of course, boom, the corner is scored.
Making simple things difficult!
The ref in this clip clearly doesn't believe a foul has occurred. We have to discuss his actions with that as the starting point.

Now you can disagree with that decision and point at his positioning and lack of urgency as much as you like, but that doesn't change the facts that he perceived in the moment. To suggest that he should have invented a foul in order to help the GK waste time just because there's a minute chance that the GK will do something stupid like put the ball down and pick it up again and that this might lead to a slightly difficult to manage goal is ridiculous.

As I said, there are many things in the clip I will happily agree with if you tell me the ref did badly. But his failure to invent a foul just to make his life easier is not one of them. He made a decision and stuck with it - and for that, he gets credit from me at least.

And your GK/corner example? You're damn right that if I think I've seen a touch that justifies a corner, I'm giving a corner. The suggestion that you would change your decision just because a few of the players around you seem to think it's a GK is ridiculous - and I'm genuinely a little shocked that you're "victim blaming" refs who are willing to make unpopular decisions!

for me he DOES believe a foul has occured
he feels however, feck it, am not giving that cos I can be justifed in saying no foul

cue mayhem

give the foul

and we move on

The ref in this clip clearly doesn't believe a foul has occurred. We have to discuss his actions with that as the starting point.

Now you can disagree with that decision and point at his positioning and lack of urgency as much as you like, but that doesn't change the facts that he perceived in the moment. To suggest that he should have invented a foul in order to help the GK waste time just because there's a minute chance that the GK will do something stupid like put the ball down and pick it up again and that this might lead to a slightly difficult to manage goal is ridiculous.

As I said, there are many things in the clip I will happily agree with if you tell me the ref did badly. But his failure to invent a foul just to make his life easier is not one of them. He made a decision and stuck with it - and for that, he gets credit from me at least.

And your GK/corner example? You're damn right that if I think I've seen a touch that justifies a corner, I'm giving a corner. The suggestion that you would change your decision just because a few of the players around you seem to think it's a GK is ridiculous - and I'm genuinely a little shocked that you're "victim blaming" refs who are willing to make unpopular decisions!

Ok mate, let’s roll with this scenario of no foul being committed. Although I think almost all (if not all) believe there was enough in that careless slide to call it a defensive FK, what you will hear many mentors, observers refer to as safe refereeing: no surprises!

However for the sake of learning and so that we hopefully stop you and ciley getting into a car fight like you always do! Let’s discuss what the ref should have done once he decided on the IFK for the attacking team.

First sprint into place, control the damn ball the foul and stick that had in the air. And again no freaking surprises manage the free kick, it will be the most ceremonial free kick I’ve ever given in my life.

Because unfortunately everything from that clip reads like car crash. I’m not for criticising colleagues, and we’ve all had a bad at the office and this is a prime example of an referee who got caught out and lost focus and let the match dictate his actions rather than him being proactive!

First sprint into place, control the damn ball the foul and stick that had in the air. And again no freaking surprises manage the free kick, it will be the most ceremonial free kick I’ve ever given in my life.
No chance of getting there before it's taken. What are you going to do, blow up and tell them "you can't take it quick because you'll score!" Genuine question.

No chance of getting there before it's taken. What are you going to do, blow up and tell them "you can't take it quick because you'll score!" Genuine question.
Once you are that far into "wrong decisions" you are already behind the 8 ball. Even if you think you have made the right calls so far, your instinct should be telling you this is getting out of hand and I need to do a bit of work here to get control back on track. So the first thing is to slow it down.

The second white player gets close to the keeper, as you are running in, double/triple blows and shout on the whistle lads. If asked why just say, let him fix his boot or any other excuse that comes to mind.

All this is easy to discuss and give solutions in hind sight but once you are in that situation (and we have all been there) it's all a different story and before you know it sh!t has hit the fan and you are surrounded by players and you are still thinking what did just happen.

Ok mate, let’s roll with this scenario of no foul being committed. Although I think almost all (if not all) believe there was enough in that careless slide to call it a defensive FK, what you will hear many mentors, observers refer to as safe refereeing: no surprises!

However for the sake of learning and so that we hopefully stop you and ciley getting into a car fight like you always do! Let’s discuss what the ref should have done once he decided on the IFK for the attacking team.

Because unfortunately everything from that clip reads like car crash. I’m not for criticising colleagues, and we’ve all had a bad at the office and this is a prime example of an referee who got caught out and lost focus and let the match dictate his actions rather than him being proactive!
I agree with all of this - the issue I have is that the FA response didn't contain any of this useful and relevant advice. If I was the ref here being observed, all of the above is good development advice. An observer drivelling on about how I should have sold a foul I didn't see and controlled the reaction to this fictional foul is very little use to me as a ref. And that's why I don't like the FA response here.

No set piece can , or should happen, until you as referee are ready. Am not bothered about the gk when it comes to attacking fk in the box, my priority is ME, am I ready. In the case in the clip, not in a million years am i giving the fk, but, for purpose of the post, if i do, then Nalbi is spot on, nothing is happening until am ready. Again though, my thought process is a game is managment of situations, a diff ref with a diff viewpoint will allow the fk and sod the consequences. Which they are of course entitled to do. Its just personally not my way of officiating.

No set piece can , or should happen, until you as referee are ready. Am not bothered about the gk when it comes to attacking fk in the box, my priority is ME, am I ready. In the case in the clip, not in a million years am i giving the fk, but, for purpose of the post, if i do, then Nalbi is spot on, nothing is happening until am ready. Again though, my thought process is a game is managment of situations, a diff ref with a diff viewpoint will allow the fk and sod the consequences. Which they are of course entitled to do. Its just personally not my way of officiating.

I disagree. We have no right to rob a team of a legitimate quick free kick simply because we aren't alert enough, we aren't ready or it doesn't benefit us.

I agree with all of this - the issue I have is that the FA response didn't contain any of this useful and relevant advice. If I was the ref here being observed, all of the above is good development advice. An observer drivelling on about how I should have sold a foul I didn't see and controlled the reaction to this fictional foul is very little use to me as a ref. And that's why I don't like the FA response here.

I type in peace

Your post there sums up my by now boring stance on knowing the laws and the difference in knowing when and how to apply them. The FA response does tell you everything that you need to know, what you personally take out of that advice, is entirely down to you

Back