A&H

Goalkeeper clip, Guardian website

I disagree. We have no right to rob a team of a legitimate quick free kick simply because we aren't alert enough, we aren't ready or it doesn't benefit us.

Oh am not denying anything. Every set piece, throw, corner, all happens when WE are ready, 9 time out of 10 its taken for granted..... who is in charge of controlling the game here? You as referee? or, the players.......

The Referee Store
Providing everything is done correctly i.e. stationary ball, taken from the correct place etc I am happy to allow a quick free kick from any where on the pitch.

But, I wouldn't be allowing the attacking player to snatch the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands and then take it quickly,allowing a player to get away with that is, in my opinion, asking for trouble.

I type in peace

Your post there sums up my by now boring stance on knowing the laws and the difference in knowing when and how to apply them. The FA response does tell you everything that you need to know, what you personally take out of that advice, is entirely down to you
No, the FA response tells the ref everything he should have done if he'd made a different initial decision. It completely fails to point out what he could have done to minimise the problems that developed after the decision he did make. At Nabli and One have both pointed out, there are things the referee could have done even after the "wrong" decision that would have helped him maintain match control.

Fine, if the FA want to say he should have made a different initial decision. But because any ref in the world might have made that decision, it's much more productive to then look at the next thing that occurred after that and discuss any further points of improvement that would have arisen from there. Ignoring those further mistakes doesn't help educate others.

I might be alone in thinking the FA cant really understand why anybody would not give the foul to the gk in the first place thus the apparent deflection of a meaningful response...

For me referee being ready for any restart is a must. The players' right to a QFK or nothing else I can think of trumps that. Imagine a QFK taken and you miss a penalty in the next phase of play because of it.

The reason for not being ready is beside the point. It could be legitimate, because of an error or a consequence of it (as in OP).

No, the FA response tells the ref everything he should have done if he'd made a different initial decision. It completely fails to point out what he could have done to minimise the problems that developed after the decision he did make. At Nabli and One have both pointed out, there are things the referee could have done even after the "wrong" decision that would have helped him maintain match control.

Fine, if the FA want to say he should have made a different initial decision. But because any ref in the world might have made that decision, it's much more productive to then look at the next thing that occurred after that and discuss any further points of improvement that would have arisen from there. Ignoring those further mistakes doesn't help educate others.

Not sure why they should though, its a blatant foul so anything that happened after it shouldn't have happened.

Not sure why they should though, its a blatant foul so anything that happened after it shouldn't have happened.
I understand that. But any one of us could make the same initial mistake (or find ourselves in a similar situation but without the foul), and there's a lot the ref could have done after that initial mistake to maintain control that he failed to do. You don't think mentioning the further points that led to the loss of control might be instructive?

I get what @GraemeS is saying.

My “default” position if there is an infringement when the keeper has the ball in hands is to acknowledge it with a shout (“I’ve seen it, but we’ll play on” or something similar) but play on - at the levels I work at it is nearly always to the keeper’s benefit to play from hands (and he can bring the ball to the edge of the box) than to have to take a static free kick (which in this example would be some 12 yards further back than kicking from the edge of the box)

So I think what @GraemeS was after was some guidance on what to do if you haven’t instantly given the FK.

I get what @GraemeS is saying.

My “default” position if there is an infringement when the keeper has the ball in hands is to acknowledge it with a shout (“I’ve seen it, but we’ll play on” or something similar) but play on - at the levels I work at it is nearly always to the keeper’s benefit to play from hands (and he can bring the ball to the edge of the box) than to have to take a static free kick (which in this example would be some 12 yards further back than kicking from the edge of the box)

So I think what @GraemeS was after was some guidance on what to do if you haven’t instantly given the FK.
A defensive free kick in the penalty area can be taken anywhere in the area though

A defensive free kick in the penalty area can be taken anywhere in the area though

I fear that you may be confusing the penalty area with the goal area.

All free kicks are taken from the place where infringement occurred except:

A defensive free kick in the goal area may be taken from anywhere in that area
(Law 13)

This offence occurred outside of the goal area, towards the back of the penalty area. The free kick would have had to be taken from near the back of the penalty area.

I fear that you may be confusing the penalty area with the goal area.

All free kicks are taken from the place where infringement occurred except:

A defensive free kick in the goal area may be taken from anywhere in that area
(Law 13)

This offence occurred outside of the goal area, towards the back of the penalty area. The free kick would have had to be taken from near the back of the penalty area.
Silly me. I meant goal area, but realise it’s outside lol 🙄

Apologies to anyone who has already mentioned this, but the fact that the team who scored the goal were 2-0 down in the 89th minute--as wrong as this may be--must have influenced the referee's willingness to let that incident unfold.

Apologies to anyone who has already mentioned this, but the fact that the team who scored the goal were 2-0 down in the 89th minute--as wrong as this may be--must have influenced the referee's willingness to let that incident unfold.

nothing of course is impossible but I would be surprised and appalled if that was the case. For me the incident is a clear case of arrogance by the referee, (that's not a foul and even if it is am not giving it), followed by (quick free kick? goal? serves the gk right)

Back