A&H

Goal ?

So going back to the OP, where there is the element of doubt, do you give a goal or not?

I'm going with 'no goal'.
If you're not 100% sure the whole of the ball has crossed the line, you don't give the goal.

It's why I very rarely give a throw in when the ball is on the sideline and I'm AR, I just shout 'play on, stayed in' etc, because majority of the time the whole ball hasn't crossed the line though the players always seem to think it has for some bizarre reason.

The Referee Store
If you're not 100% sure the whole of the ball has crossed the line, you don't give the goal.

It's why I very rarely give a throw in when the ball is on the sideline and I'm AR, I just shout 'play on, stayed in' etc, because majority of the time the whole ball hasn't crossed the line though the players always seem to think it has for some bizarre reason.
Because they see the view that I talked about earlier they are in field and to them they will see a ball that is clearly out.

How about this one from last night - looks like it was given by Ref, not the AR (Not micd up on this league)(Women Tier 3)

i'd love it if she actually gave a foul and the 2 signals just looked the same!

does not look like a goal though and not given from a very credible position imo. as soon as the ball goes up off the bar she should be sprinting round her left which would have gievn a much better view of the aerial challenge and ball over line decision

Last edited:
i'd love it if he (assuming male ref) actually gave a foul and the 2 signals just looked the same!

does not look like a goal though and not given from a very credible position imo. as soon as the ball goes up off the bar he should be sprinting round his left which would have gievn a much better view of the aerial challenge and ball over line decision
It's a female R, is it not?
93rd minute equaliser apparently so its a brave call!
'Unsafe' decision from where he/she is

TBF, although I agree with the sentiment of getting side on, in this example, not sure it would have helped much.

Actually 'face on' as here, its possible she could see the line in front of the ball and the GK and therefore gave the goal.

As you can see in the clip there are 11 players convinced its in and 11 players convinced its not! :rolleyes:

You simply cannot give ball over line from there, especially not when you have a neutral AR behind the corner flag. There is absolutely no way she could have seen from where she was. Might have been difficult for the AR to see as well, but he was the only one with any kind of credible view.

I would also hope there were sanctions for the QPR players that mobbed her, especially the keeper who got right in her face. I can understand why she was upset as she will have known if she kept the ball out, and I'm reasonably confident she did, but you still can't behave like that.

Goal or not, keeper should be getting a card for running 25 yards to get in the referee's face.

Back