A&H

Junior/Youth Goal or not? KFTM

The Referee Store
Have a look at this clip:

https://www.facebook.com/likeyfs/videos/927293137312085/

What do we think? Goal or not? Personally, I don't think you could say the keeper saved the ball - it slipped straight out the back of his hands, so he never really had the ball, so goal for me!
You beat me to this Cap :) . I will give it a goal even if its for keeper's foolishness to throw the ball back in to his own net. But it is a goal nonetheless.

Last edited:
Lol at the 'former top referee' answer linked: yes it was a goal, because the referee decided it was a goal, otherwise it wouldn't have been.

You beat me to this Cap :) . I will give it a goal even if its for keeper's foolishness to throw the ball back in to his own net. But it is a goal nonetheless.

Actually, that's a good point.
If he had caught it (clearly, unlike in this clip) and threw it behind him in celebration, what would the decision be? For me that's no goal as the initial momentum has stopped.

I know this will be a debatable way of figuring it out but I would think to myself if I had extended the time (full time or half time) to allow a penalty to be take, and the keeper catches the ball and throws it into his own goal would I allow the goal. The answer is yes as I would consider neither the penalty nor the half to be complete. I see no difference in a KFTPM.

In the OP the ball going backwards may not have been intended but it could have been prevented or at least attempt to stop it going in.

Goal for me, still under the original force of the kick and keeper doesn't have it under control, he's been stupid and taken his eye off the ball and it's deflected off him into the goal.

For me NO GOAL ! ... keeper stopped forward momentum, then ball moved away from keeper under his control then he dropped ball....

@mikedn How about the one where the GK stops the ball, but it has some serious backspin and spins into the goal?

Also no goal for you on that one?

For me, it appeared that the GK mishandled it and, despite making the initial direction change on the shot, it still ended up in the goal. To be frank, it baffles me at any time when a GK doesn't control it and ensure that there's no momentum left on the ball. I've seen GK's stop a penalty in kicks and then throw the ball into the goal.

Why would you do that? It opens the conversation of whether it should be a goal or not. Keep it simple. Stop the ball. Make sure the ball is completely stopped, then put it somewhere else (besides inside the goal) to celebrate. Leave it with no question that it's not a goal.

If the GK has not stopped the forward momentum of the ball,taking into consideration the serious backspin then its a goal.........

@mikedn How about the one where the GK stops the ball, but it has some serious backspin and spins into the goal?

Also no goal for you on that one?

For me, it appeared that the GK mishandled it and, despite making the initial direction change on the shot, it still ended up in the goal. To be frank, it baffles me at any time when a GK doesn't control it and ensure that there's no momentum left on the ball. I've seen GK's stop a penalty in kicks and then throw the ball into the goal.

Why would you do that? It opens the conversation of whether it should be a goal or not. Keep it simple. Stop the ball. Make sure the ball is completely stopped, then put it somewhere else (besides inside the goal) to celebrate. Leave it with no question that it's not a goal.
Agreed....

Last edited by a moderator:
GOOOOOOOOAAAAL! The principle is the same as the last epic-unusual-penalty-thread of a couple of weeks ago. Penalty procedure is completed when the referee says it is.

Referees shouldn't confuse themselves by assuming there is a 'forward momentum' rule/law....

Reactions: SM
Referees shouldn't confuse themselves by assuming there is a 'forward momentum' rule/law....
I agree there is no law ... but common sense says if there is no forward momentum of the ball no goal can be scored so when the ball loses this "forward momentum" end of penalty... but for shootouts only.... in normal game time the taker can follow up and hit the ball again to score

I agree there is no law ... but common sense says if there is no forward momentum of the ball no goal can be scored so when the ball loses this "forward momentum" end of penalty... but for shootouts only.... in normal game time the taker can follow up and hit the ball again to score

Here we go again...lol...

So, the ball hits the post and bounces back out....forward momentum is lost..right??..... it hits the keeper on back of his head and goes into the net.......... are you telling me that you would disallow this because it lost forward momentum?.....

Again...... what if it hits post then other post then goes in.?....

Trust me..... forget this forward momentum thing

Here we go again...lol...

So, the ball hits the post and bounces back out....forward momentum is lost..right??..... it hits the keeper on back of his head and goes into the net.......... are you telling me that you would disallow this because it lost forward momentum?.....

Again...... what if it hits post then other post then goes in.?....

Trust me..... forget this forward momentum thing
We are talking penalty shootout here( not normal penalty take) if it hits keeper then goes in of course its a goal : if it hits post and comes back out in a penalty shootout the taker cannot hit the ball a second time

Last edited by a moderator:
Back