A&H

Goal kicks ..

The Referee Store
Thanks ASM..

There has been much debate about whether, at a goal kick, the goalkeeper is permitted to ‘lift’ the ball to a team mate to head or chest it back to the goalkeeper to catch and then put into play. The views of technical and refereeing experts about whether this is within the ‘spirit’ of the Laws is divided so the matter will be discussed by The IFAB. Until then, this practice should not be permitted nor should it be penalised. If it occurs the referee should order the goal kick to be re-taken (but without any disciplinary action).

Would anybody know the timescale?

Its an odd one. The rules do not state this cannot be done.

Well... it kind of does.

Read the whole 10 pages of debate about it on this forum here :)

https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/new-goal-kick-trick.14095/

Thanks for the link … I read the entire ten pages.

Summary.

So IFAB, the lawmakers, don't have a clue if the law permits this?

I saw this being used in an under thirteens game. The referee allowed it. The opposing coach appreciated what his opponent was doing because it allowed a young keeper to have an alternative to aggressive pressing where he and his team mates where struggling to play out.

Against the spirit of the game? No. Its use made a grassroots game more competitive and enjoyable for those playing in it.

Last edited:
Without going back to that thread to see my view at the time, here is my summary..

There is a law that kind of stops us from doing it now. The law (and no circumvention of it) was introduced long time ago and the intent/spirit of it was to stop time wasting. Doing the OP from a goal kick although may possibly be against the wording of the law, it is not against its spirit. At the time doing something like the OP, although not impossible, was very difficult to do. So introducing the law didn't have any unwanted consequences.

This year IFAB changed the goal kick law without thinking through its consequences properly. Now they have left themselves between a rock and a hard place.

Keeping in mind almost every team prefers a distribution out of keeper's hand from the edge of the area (throw or punt kick), IFAB can disallow the OP for no good reason, or allow it and change the way goal kicks are taken forever. They can't decide what to do and that's why they came up with this ridiculous circular solution, of don't allow it, but don't punish it either.

Having said that, on your scenario, youth football has a lot of specific challenges for its own. I don't think changing the law for everyone to fix 'youth football challenges' is a good solution. A better solution would be allowing a goal kick to be taken from further up (e.g. imaginary line through penalty mark or the PA line), and/or keeping attackers further out than just the PA (like the 25 meter rule used in small sided games). My local grassroots uses both. It also allows corner kicks to be taken from only 8 yard away from the edge of the penalty area if the field is wider.

Last edited:
Back