A&H

Goal frames

wa209

Just after a bit of info. Some OA goals have a small 45 degree piece of 'tubing' between post and bottom frame. I presume to provide additional support etc.
Question is shot strikes metal tubing at angle and rebounds out. Common sense says tubing is inside goal as its behind post, therefore goal is awarded. Is there any official guidance on these style of goals.. IFAB etc.
Cheers

A&H International
Of course IFAB won’t have guidance, as a goal that doesn’t allow the ball to fully cross the line isn’t acceptable under the Laws. Technically under the Laws a goal wouldn’t be given as the whole ball did not cross the whole line, and nothing in the Laws provides for exceptions. IMO, “local rules” are needed on how to handle for consistency.

I do games at a field that used to have goals with the net so steep down in back that a ball in the very top corners could not fully cross the line, as the net would block it. It was understood by all that in such a scenario a goal would be given, and it never created controversy.

I was an assistant referee in a junior cup final many years ago and the striker went through one on one at approx a 45 degree angle (corner of the box) with the goalkeeper and shot, the result shot went directly in the goal and bounced out off the diagonal bar between the post and back support. The player ran away celebrating, the referee look puzzled but I could clearly see the goal scored and indicated accordingly.
I see these type of goal frames at step 5/6 and often mention that experience as it’s probably extremely rare occurrence.

Thanks both.. They seem to be fairly common where I am. I would have thought that the designers must have anticipated a ball striking the supportive ' stansion'... But it's beyond the posts/cross bar and in the 'goal'
I can see both sides of points made
I have seen it once where ball struck the 45degree bar... Came out.. Span a bit and back over the line into the goal... Bizarre..

There shouldn't be anything in the goal that could cause the ball to rebound back out, as even if you could still give the goal the ball might be hit with such ferocity that the naked eye just can't see this. A goal was infamously incorrectly not given at a South East step 3 ground which has a brick wall a very short distance behind the posts, the goal nets attach to the wall. A very powerful shot hit the wall hard and came back out, and the officials thought it had hit the post so played on.

If you spot this with a goal frame it would be a good idea to let both teams know and say that if the ball hits it, assuming doing so would 100% guarantee the whole of the ball was over the line, a goal will be given. But that doesn't negate the fact it might not be easy to see this and the associated problems that could arise through this.

Back