A&H

Goal celebrations

MattTheRef

Level 4 Referee
Morning all.

Yesterdays step 5 fixture I had a query from a manager following the game.

The game is 4-4, and the home team scored in the 94th minute to make it 5-4. Cue pandemonium from them, a few subs came on and joined the celebrations. They ran across the pitch to the far corner.

I told them to leave the pitch at nearest point. No sanctions given.

Should I be looking to caution them? I chose to manage the situation as didn’t feel like football expects a card there.
Would an observer mark me down?
If they had caused altercations or similar then I would have been cautioning them.

The Referee Store
I'd be looking to see you manage it, if you are right on top of the celebration and telling them to disperse then I'm backing you. If you've disappeared to the half way line and left them to it then there's going to be a discussion.

Isn't this exactly what happened when Arsenal scored a last minute goal v Bournemouth, no sanctions then I believe

FYI we've just had a 'pool bulletin' on this topic:

It has been noted that there is an increasing trend for occupants of technical areas - in particular substitutes or substituted players - to enter the field of play to join in goal celebrations, with match officials failing to take any appropriate actions.

As well as being observed by League officials, instances have been reported by some opposing clubs and can even be seen on video clips posted on-line.

The League Secretaries are to issue reminders to clubs that such instances are not acceptable.

Accordingly, it is requested that such encroachments are properly dealt with going forward.

FYI we've just had a 'pool bulletin' on this topic:

It has been noted that there is an increasing trend for occupants of technical areas - in particular substitutes or substituted players - to enter the field of play to join in goal celebrations, with match officials failing to take any appropriate actions.

As well as being observed by League officials, instances have been reported by some opposing clubs and can even be seen on video clips posted on-line.

The League Secretaries are to issue reminders to clubs that such instances are not acceptable.

Accordingly, it is requested that such encroachments are properly dealt with going forward.
Properly dealt with?
If you were really pedantic this would mean a caution for everyone involved that entered without permission or deliberately left their technical area.

I'm certain this is not what they are looking for, and I would argue they ought to have sent some guidance for what "properly dealt with" means.

I'd argue with such a large breach that the game does not expect mass cautioning, but a separate extraordinary report.

Trend of this happening is up since the world cup because every team pretty much did it for every goal with seemingly zero consequence.

Properly dealt with?
If you were really pedantic this would mean a caution for everyone involved that entered without permission or deliberately left their technical area.

I'm certain this is not what they are looking for, and I would argue they ought to have sent some guidance for what "properly dealt with" means.

I'd argue with such a large breach that the game does not expect mass cautioning, but a separate extraordinary report.

Trend of this happening is up since the world cup because every team pretty much did it for every goal with seemingly zero consequence.

yeah, some guidance on what to do would be useful!

i think, without guidance, if you see it happen, you need to be seen to recognise it and warn the subs/officials that if it happens again you'll issue caution(s). cautioning first will be a massive shock to everyone unless it's especially prolonged.

what happened in the world cup, and happens in 'bigger' pro games is unhelpful and it;s routinely ignored at the top level - IIRC one ref cautioned twice for this in one game in the middle of the world cup but this was the exception rather than the rule and no one else followed suit

Back