A&H

glasses

Stuart McKenzie

referee on tour in the summer
who else wears them. I am thinking of getting sports glasses like Edgar davids anyone else have experience of sports glasses

The Referee Store
Contacts all the way for me. Don't know any refs who wear sports glasses but know a few players who do and love them

Reactions: SM
cheers Ross I was thinking lazer eye surgery. but eye sight isn't that bad yet. contacts I find my eyes are to sensitive for me to be poking myself in the eye

Nothing beats trying to put contacts in without a mirror. Lost count of the times I've done it using my rear view mirror in the car :D

Contacts all day...
Ross is not rocket science... you just need to develop your own method to pop em in and out.

I wear my glasses!

I am the 'should have gone specsavers' ref!

I wear contacts when I play, but I find my vision isn't as strong and as such think it might effect my ref ability!

I wear my glasses!

I am the 'should have gone specsavers' ref!

I wear contacts when I play, but I find my vision isn't as strong and as such think it might effect my ref ability!

Hi Charlie,

When was the last time you had a contact lense check? My contacts give me 20/20 vision just as good as my glasses.

I hate to say it but a referee wearing glasses just opens you up to easy comments.

Plus, most glasses cost in the region of £100 +, if they slipped and broke, what would you do for the rest of the game? Have a spare pair, if the same happened? I've never had a contact fall out, but I take spares with me in my kit bag.

unfortunately my vision is extra terrible - contact lens' for me will never gain a 20/20 vision unfortunately - my last contact check was when I had my glasses re-done.

I do understand about the 'opening up for criticism' but most of the time I can easily laugh it off - and if its said in an abusive way then it leads to a comfortable RC (reminds me of a situation where I offered the chap in question the chance to come up with a better 'cuss' for wearing glasses, one that ive never heard before, and if he did id only book him - he couldn't! RC! ... mind this was in a friendly and the game was fairly light hearted anyway)

in terms of them breaking ... if your glasses are slipping then id consult your optician immediately - I do carry a spare, but also if my glasses to go to slip - I can usualy feel it happen and catch them - and in the unlikely circumstance I don't then they'll be right by me on the floor and ill get them?

glasses falling off for a referee and breaking is a huge hypothetical situation

The referee wearing glasses bit i havent had a problem with the players about the glasses, they just want to play football and they are sometimes just greatful to have a referee. I also find that any criticism i have had hasnt been down to me wearing glasses. However i find it is down to me make a poor decision and if i had a good game which does happen i also get acknowledgement for that.

I wear glasses for driving and TV/computer work. Finally started wearing contacts a couple of years ago, although don't wear them regularly.

I was already considering contact lenses for matches when I did the refereeing course. I was "advised" by one of the trainers that glasses were not a good idea from a credability point of view.

Prior to getting lenses, would usually wear perscription sunglasses. Very occasionally would get a comment "are referees allowed to wear sunglasses?", to which I flip it and say "never been told I can't" and smile. No one ever knew I was in fact a "four eyes" :).

On one occasioning it was raining from the start with heavy/dark cloud cover. Had no choice to go with my normal glasses. Was a nightmare, having to wipe my glasses with either a finger or a very wet shirt at every opportunity. Game fortunately went without incident, so credibilty was never questioned due to potential eyesight issues.

F**k credibility ... Wearing glasses enhances my vision ... If I make a mistake it's because I made a mistake, not because of my glasses

Want to tease me? Ok! RC, make a joke? Ok! RC ... After the first 2 they won't say a dickie!

I used to wear glasses - never had a problem with players ... probably get more comments about my eye sight now with players suggesting I get down to Spec Savers ..!

I only eventually switched to contacts after a very rainy game and struggled to see through the rain on my specs if I couldn't wipe them every 30 seconds

I wear contacts now, I used to referee in glasses, but have you ever tried running a line in a torrential downpour with water on your lenses!?! Impossible. Contacts makes everything easier :D

I am a contact lense wearer. Wear them all the time though, only wear glasses at home at the end of the day.

Wouldn't wear glasses to referee, bloody things would be bouncing all over the place, misting up etc.

Back