A&H

GK 6 seconds caution

pankaye

Level 5 Referee
Saw this on Facebook. And it's migrated to our local WhatsApp group.

A goalkeeper persistently takes more than 6 seconds to release the ball, what action(s) would you take if they kept doing this??

Is a caution for persistent infringement supported in Law?

I am probably wrong and being a bit if know it all, but I have been arguing that no caution is required as for instance you would caution a keeper for persistent picking up a "back pass" kick by a team mate.

But others more experienced than me say yes it could be cautionable.

What does everyone think?

The Referee Store
I think you could PI caution if it keeps happening, sure. "No particular frequency or pattern" for PI.

But you should be giving the IFK each time it happens, it's not supportable to PI caution without having actually whistled for multiple infringements. And if a keeper continues to pass "6 seconds" repeatedly after having to defend against more than one avoidable IFK, work up the stepped approach. Including telling the captain to get his keeper to stop giving away stupid IFK's - I'd be astonished if you could ever realistically get to the 4th IFK without his team or managers doing something about it.

Saw this on Facebook. And it's migrated to our local WhatsApp group.

A goalkeeper persistently takes more than 6 seconds to release the ball, what action(s) would you take if they kept doing this??

Is a caution for persistent infringement supported in Law?

I am probably wrong and being a bit if know it all, but I have been arguing that no caution is required as for instance you would caution a keeper for persistent picking up a "back pass" kick by a team mate.

But others more experienced than me say yes it could be cautionable.

What does everyone think?
Unless they're penalising this on the tele... and I can't recall ever seeing that before, good luck awarding an IDFK in your games
Just be seen to be increasingly busy with the GK. If eventually, you do award an IDFK, make sure everyone knows for sure it was coming
And I mean everyone
No caution however, well not until the resultant dissent kicks off

Only cautionable in a wildly theoretical way. The only possible caution would be for PI. I would hazard that in the history of the 6 second rule, a GK has never been stupid enough to keep violating a reasonable referee’s threshold for 6 seconds enough times to even remotely trigger a reasonable PI discussion, as the consequences of a 6 second call are pretty harsh--turning the ball I. The GK’s hand into a goal scoring opportunity for the other team.

This was on "the referee forum" group and I argued that the law does support a persistent offence caution.
You aren't cautioning the offence itself, you are cautioning the repeat and persistent nature of the offence.
As Graeme says, and very importantly may I add, you do need to be punishing the offence and awarding idfks for you to consider the offending persistent.
And yes, the same applies to a keeper persistently handling a ball that has been deliberately kicked to him by a team mate.

Am ok with a caution here

based on, how many times, after the shouts of, keeper!!

i have never awarded this idfk twice in same game so its hard to paint picture in head, but, if I have given it three times, after my proactive stuff, yes, i can see me carding the 4th

not really to punish the gk, but, to try educate them that we need that ball back ' in play'

To throw a brief spanner in the works, and I think we've discussed this before - PI caution for persistent offside?

I'm going with technically possible in law, but even less likely to be actually required than the 6 seconds PI. Maybe if a player is consistently standing offside and having the ball passed to them in order to timewaste, but even that is a stretch!

To throw a brief spanner in the works, and I think we've discussed this before - PI caution for persistent offside?

I'm going with technically possible in law, but even less likely to be actually required than the 6 seconds PI. Maybe if a player is consistently standing offside and having the ball passed to them in order to timewaste, but even that is a stretch!
Was just about to post this - theoretically you could, but it's looking for trouble.

Agree, and I think, we could just about say as well that the spirit of the game does not expect caution for Persistent offside offences.

Just because you could do something it doesn't mean you should do it. USB is open ended so theoretically you can even caution the first occasion of the violation of 6 seconds for USB (assuming you consider it unsporting) but you'd have to kiss goodbye your match control.

Got the user blocked but can work out a reference to persistent offside

This disadvantages his team, so no caution

Keeping the ball for the 20 secs or whatever disadvantages the opponents

Got the user blocked but can work out a reference to persistent offside

This disadvantages his team, so no caution

Keeping the ball for the 20 secs or whatever disadvantages the opponents
Exactly that. Although you could argue that once holding the ball for more then 6 seconds is given that disadvantages his team as well.

It is one of those situations that gets talked about that will simply never happen. Referees don't penalise breaches of the 6 second law, and if they did there is no way the keeper would do it again. And even if he did do it again you would hardly call it PI for a second breach, he'd have to keep doing it to fall into PI category. By which point he would have either been subbed or his team mates would have read him the riot act.

and I think we've discussed this before - PI caution for persistent offside?

But it's not an offence to be offside? Even when it is an offence it's not really a misconduct issue.

Anyway, this isn't a difficult issue to manage, just shout and use the countdown if you think they're taking the mick. Most keepers will boot it before you hit 5 seconds, anyone pushing it beyond that, is an easy, obvious penalty and anyone persistently missing it, probably wants that £10 fine.

PI caution for persistent offside?
Had this happen when I was playing U13. Our front three just kept being offside. Ref lost the plot with about 15 minutes to go and "booked all of us". Yellow card shown to all 11 of us (no names taken). Needless to say, don't think any of them went through, but it was very very funny to a 12-year old me seeing this old fella lose it. (and that's what inspired me to take up the whisle etc)

Had this happen when I was playing U13. Our front three just kept being offside. Ref lost the plot with about 15 minutes to go and "booked all of us". Yellow card shown to all 11 of us (no names taken). Needless to say, don't think any of them went through, but it was very very funny to a 12-year old me seeing this old fella lose it. (and that's what inspired me to take up the whisle etc)
I think some naming of names is needed 😂

Devil's advocate here as I don't see 6 second violation ever being cautioned.

To be clear PO (PI) doesn't have to be multiple occurrences of the same offence. First 6 second violation CAN BE cautioned for PO if the keeper has been offending (of other types) before. "No specific number or pattern of offences constitutes 'persistent' "

Unless they're penalising this on the tele... and I can't recall ever seeing that before, good luck awarding an IDFK in your games
Just be seen to be increasingly busy with the GK. If eventually, you do award an IDFK, make sure everyone knows for sure it was coming
And I mean everyone
No caution however, well not until the resultant dissent kicks off

Agreed. Like @Anubis also says, it's not really something anybody ever really bothers with but if it's becoming blatantly obvious to all and you're getting moans/appeals from players and dugouts over it, then you've got to be seen to warn the GK, then award IDFK at least once before pulling out the yellow for it. Sadly, whatever the scenario, as a referee, you're gonna make few friends by doing it ...

Back