A&H

Giving the ref a hug!

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Everton vs Stoke a couple of weeks ago.

With the score at 3-3, Mark Clattenburg awarded Stoke a last minute penalty. A few Everton players protest the decision despite it looking a fairly clear cut call. A Stoke player then walks over to Clattenburg and gives him a full on hug from the front as if to say thanks for the decision. :eek:

A long long time ago, during the training course the RDO made it clear as referees we shouldn't have any physical contact with players and have zero tolerance towards any physical contact made by a player towards us, regardless of intentions. Now we all know professional footy, especially the Premier League is a law to itself with regard to dissent etc, but surely even for the Premier League's declining standards, giving the ref a hug, especially whilst the game is still being played, is going to far? :confused:

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Yeah, I saw this one too - made me wince, then smile! I think in his position I'd be looking to move the player away asap in case something flared up...but surprisingly this has never happened to me in reality!

In such a situation I think you have to admonish the "hugger" in some way. No necessarily a caution but
you have to make it clear, especially to the opposition, that it is your decision. I'd sure everyone knew I didn't appreciate it.

A wagging finger at the player while you quietly whisper a thank you for the hug? :)

Hey, who doesn't like a hug now and again!

Back