A&H

Giving players information.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Views on this.

If a ball is going back to the goalkeeper and its debatable back pass do you communicate with the keeper saying "dont/do pick it up keeper"

This isnt really a major issue but taking it a bit further, my game today ball played through forward goes round the keeper (tightish angle) and passes the ball towards the goal, as its a yard or two off the line a team mate who was offside when the pass\shot was taken puts the ball into the net.

The Referee Store
I've been known to shout 'you can pick it up keeper' when there's potential indecision on a loose ball.

I also find it can help if you instruct players 'don't foul' when there is potential for something to happen (running close from behind and clipping at ankles)

I normally also shout out why I didn't give a handball ('It hit his chest') or foul throw ('It was ugly but legal')

I'm not quite sure what your second scenario is saying though. If an offside positioned player is going to commit an offside offence I'm probably not going to say anything and just blow when an offence is committed. The scenario you describe makes it sound like the original player 'could' follow up with a tap in so if you tell the other striker not to touch it you're verging into coaching players.

In my first season I am actually finding that I have to bite my lip occasionally to not call out 'Man On!' to players 😆

I've been known to shout 'you can pick it up keeper' when there's potential indecision on a loose ball.
I disagree with this.

I don't mind (and I have) told keepers NOT to pick it up when unsure. Although this can be on the border line of coaching them, it is more preventative and helps my match control. It is easier to dismiss the opponents when they say you are helping them than it is to dismiss the keeper's team if you give a IFK on a questionable 'back-pass'. I must also add I only do this at youth level (U18 included) and lower levels of OA in grassroots. The rest should know and when in doubt, they should go with the safer option.

But telling the keeper to he CAN pick it up, crosses that line between prevention/match control and helping them for me.

I agree with your other shouts, but not this one. This one, just well, seems too obvious to me. :p
I'm not saying it makes it right, but I have the impression that top level officials do this a lot. I distinctly remember a clip of a Premier League game where a microphone was picking up the AR's voice and they were literally yelling, "No foul, no foul, no foul," to two players that were tussling for the ball just in front of them.

I'm not saying it makes it right, but I have the impression that top level officials do this a lot. I distinctly remember a clip of a Premier League game where a microphone was picking up the AR's voice and they were literally yelling, "No foul, no foul, no foul," to two players that were tussling for the ball just in front of them.
My instructor told me he does this. He told us that some high level refs do this.
I have no idea if it works or not as you can never tell if a player would have fouled otherwise :)

My instructor told me he does this. He told us that some high level refs do this.
I have no idea if it works or not as you can never tell if a player would have fouled otherwise :)
I know it works because it has worked on me as a player. And not because he told me not to foul, but because I know, hearing his voice, he is right there looking at what I am doing.

As a referee it also makes it easier for me to sell the foul, even if it is only a 50-50, when just before I blow the whistle, I warn him by saying no-foul.

The other words I used as well are easy and steady.

AR's should definitely be vocal when players are near them. Let the players know that: you are there, in control of things and you're ready to step in if they go too far. This is preventive action and helps you sell the decision if you raise your flag.

Phrases such as:
"Don't foul", "Easy", "No hands", I'm right here with you guys" work fine.

Delivered in a firm manner with your chest out, of course ;)

I disagree with this.

I don't mind (and I have) told keepers NOT to pick it up when unsure. Although this can be on the border line of coaching them, it is more preventative and helps my match control. It is easier to dismiss the opponents when they say you are helping them than it is to dismiss the keeper's team if you give a IFK on a questionable 'back-pass'. I must also add I only do this at youth level (U18 included) and lower levels of OA in grassroots. The rest should know and when in doubt, they should go with the safer option.

But telling the keeper to he CAN pick it up, crosses that line between prevention/match control and helping them for me.

The scenario described is one where match control might well be helped with good communication. However, you make a valid point about crossing the line into coaching. I tend to communicate a lot (perhaps too much) when refereeing and in this scenario I'd probably shout 'no pass back' rather than 'you can pick it up'

I wasn’t one for live running commentaries and I’d be surprised if SG referees even bother, at pitch level with all that noise I’d doubt you’d be heard anyway!

Aye, sod em. Let 'em make their own mistakes. Maybe at a corner but none of this other nonsense.
Fair enough :)

I find that the time wasting 'keep it in the corner' tactic with 2 minutes left is the most frequent time I say this as the opposition are just getting frustrated.

I wasn’t one for live running commentaries and I’d be surprised if SG referees even bother, at pitch level with all that noise I’d doubt you’d be heard anyway!

It is absolutely expected at L4 and above, and it would be ingrained on referees getting to PL level so much say they'd find it very difficult to stop, even if no one could hear them.

According to a Cat 3 SAR up here it's easier than you’d think to just hear stuff from the pitch. The crowd noise is apparently quieter from the pitch than you’d think.

Back pass.... tough one and I agree with one. What you say needs to avoid the possible interpretation of coaching. "you can pick it up" can seem to the other team as telling the keeper what to do. "no hands here" is borderline but slightly better. At the levels I work, they should know. Couple of things I have picked up working regional level competitions. I do talk to the players. Don't get excessive or they quit listening to you. I was told by an assessor and think it is good advise to avoid saying "easy". The coach manager may want his players challenging aggressively (and legally). This could sound like advise opposite of what the coach wants. Better phrases to use...... my personal favorite is "smart here.... smart here". It lets them know I'm here and doesn't tell the players what to do and is open ended. If a foul you deem worthy of calling (not trifling or dubious) prompts a whistle they really have no room to complain nor do their mates. I also use the "I'm here" at times. Explaining calls too much can open a can of worms with the players feeling entitled to explanations of everything. If there is a no-call that I know could be contentious, I might come out with "nothing in that," "not enough in that" "that's a good tackle" or "I saw it, we're playing".

If you say "no foul" and there is a little push or clip at the ankle that has no impact and calling it would not be consistent with what you have called could the player feel aggrieved? maybe. You did say "no foul" then a technical foul was committed. That's why I prefer "smart here" then if I make a call, they tend to feel pretty foolish and their teammates get on the player.

A national assessor said he liked the phrases I used but to be careful of giving too much of a running narrative as it could minimize impact when I do call out something critical.

Back