A&H

Getting Started Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf_Ref

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Hello,

I’m new here. I used to ref in Birmingham leagues. Haven’t been for about 10 years.

How does one go about getting back involved? I’m now in Surrey/S London.

Last time I re-registered was the 2013-14 season. I have emailed Birmingham FA about transfering to Surrey and emailed Surrey about registering.

Will I need to re-do the entirety of the course, or do they ever have leniency?

Either way - this is for an excuse to get fit again and do something for me (as work takes over my life a bit!) so to make sure I stick to it, going to try and order a kit so that I have to see it through!

I have been umming and ahhing about this for a few years, as I didn't know the area that well - but it is time! If anyone is in Surrey and has advice, would love to chat!!

Thanks

Tristan

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If I remember rightly it used to be that if you hadn't registered for 5 years then you have to re-do the course (which is even more important now given the large number of law changes since you last registered!)

That's what I thought - issue is, it doesn't seem that any courses are going on atm. I am sure that county FA will advise accordingly.

The FA Handbook states:
A Referee who has failed to register as a Referee with The Association for between two and three seasons shall not be re-registered until they have successfully undertaken and completed a Laws of the Game examination, as determined by the Affiliated Association. The Affiliated Association may then register the Referee at their former Level (up to Senior County Referee) once they are satisfied with his/her competence. A Referee who has not been registered for more than three seasons must attend and successfully complete the practical assessment and examination of The FA Referee Course, at which point they will be registered at a level (up to Senior County Referee) determined by the Affiliated Association. The Affiliated Association must not charge more than the sum determined from time to time by The Association for attendance at the assessment and examination.
Counties have been given permission to restart courses to catch up with the applicants who applied pre-lockdown, but these are subject to Covid restrictions so numbers attending are limited.
A new style course starts in January 2021, with much of it online, and shorter attendance at a course venue.
You will also need to complete DBS etc.
Welcome back!

Thank you very much for this. Really detailed. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a re-cert as I’ve studied the LoTG again and I’m pretty confident of it...

Regretting selling/throwing my old stuff out! Gonna have to dust off the old credit card soon I think.

The FA Handbook states:
A Referee who has failed to register as a Referee with The Association for between two and three seasons shall not be re-registered until they have successfully undertaken and completed a Laws of the Game examination, as determined by the Affiliated Association. The Affiliated Association may then register the Referee at their former Level (up to Senior County Referee) once they are satisfied with his/her competence. A Referee who has not been registered for more than three seasons must attend and successfully complete the practical assessment and examination of The FA Referee Course, at which point they will be registered at a level (up to Senior County Referee) determined by the Affiliated Association. The Affiliated Association must not charge more than the sum determined from time to time by The Association for attendance at the assessment and examination.
Counties have been given permission to restart courses to catch up with the applicants who applied pre-lockdown, but these are subject to Covid restrictions so numbers attending are limited.
A new style course starts in January 2021, with much of it online, and shorter attendance at a course venue.
Welcome back!

The FA Handbook states:
Welcome back!

Do you have any more info (official or unofficial) about the new style course starting in Jan 2021?

Do you have any more info (official or unofficial) about the new style course starting in Jan 2021?
Have just been to a meeting where I learned that the start date is now March, because of Covid delaying the planning and resourcing processes.
The final version will be published after Xmas, so all we know currently is one evening session, one all day session, preceded by mandatory online work and laws test, plus dealing with Protection issues.

I was very lucky as I managed to do a short laws test with Surrey to re-register. They were really helpful. Just waiting for DBS to be completed and then I can register!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back