A&H

Getting Into Refereeing

I’m back! Had a lovely chat with the Rep at Worcestershire FA and looks like I’m definitely making the decision to get into refereeing!
He did say you need to ref 5 games before you can pass the course... how easy is it to get those games before you pass the course and how did you get the opportunities?
The County FA will put you in touch with local leagues during the course, and you then talk to those leagues about your first few games, which you referee after the classroom/field of play part of the course.
Enjoy!

The Referee Store
Also he mentioned I’d need to buy some flags... I thought at the early level you don’t have flagsmen?
I’d recommend getting cheap ones. For the beginning, your flags will be for ‘club ARs’, so parents, subs, etc. At my county we got free (low quality but certainly good enough for club ARs) flags, but I spent about £30 on some good ones (Touchline) once I started to work with neutral (qualified referees) ARs, or if I’m AR

I’d recommend getting cheap ones. For the beginning, your flags will be for ‘club ARs’, so parents, subs, etc. At my county we got free (low quality but certainly good enough for club ARs) flags, but I spent about £30 on some good ones (Touchline) once I started to work with neutral (qualified referees) ARs, or if I’m AR
Thanking you :) just want to get started!

Also he mentioned I’d need to buy some flags... I thought at the early level you don’t have flagsmen?

Assistant Referee or "Linesman". ;)

You'll need flags for yourself mate, since you'll also act as an assistant for other (usually a higher level) referees.

I, (like many others) have two sets. A cheap and cheerful set with foam handles which I give to Club Assistants and also a better quality set which I use myself on the line or give to fellow qualified Assistant Referees if I have them. :)

”Flagsmen” - I love that phrase, may start using it!

Just for your info, and to help your learning, you will often see the terms CAR and NAR used on this site (and elsewhere). They refer to:

CAR - Club Assistant Referee Someone provided by the club to run the line for, often a sub. They can be helpful (but also a hinderance!) but treat their decisions with a pinch of salt. Some will do a fantastic job, some won’t have a clue what they are doing, and some may actively cheat on their team’s behalf.

NAR - Neutral Assistant Referee. These are qualified referees appointed to the game to work with you. They will be neutral and (usually) a great help. Often, along with the referee, will be called the “team of three”

It may be a while before you get NARs, your refereeing career will begin with CARs. I do recommend that fairly early in your refereeing career (ie first season) you try and get some experience of being a NAR. It’ll help you develop as a referee, prepare you for the day that you first have NARs yourself and working as a team of three adds a whole new dimension to refereein.

Just for your info, and to help your learning, you will often see the terms CAR and NAR used on this site (and elsewhere). They refer to:

CAR - Club Assistant Referee Someone provided by the club to run the line for, often a sub. They can be helpful (but also a hinderance!) but treat their decisions with a pinch of salt. Some will do a fantastic job, some won’t have a clue what they are doing, and some may actively cheat on their team’s behalf.

NAR - Neutral Assistant Referee. These are qualified referees appointed to the game to work with you. They will be neutral and (usually) a great help. Often, along with the referee, will be called the “team of three”

It may be a while before you get NARs, your refereeing career will begin with CARs. I do recommend that fairly early in your refereeing career (ie first season) you try and get some experience of being a NAR. It’ll help you develop as a referee, prepare you for the day that you first have NARs yourself and working as a team of three adds a whole new dimension to refereein.

To add, re CAR's, don't be afraid to over rule them if you believe they've made a wrong decision /not been paying attention /actively cheating.

Though notify the captains and assistants at the coin toss that you may overule them, just if you feel you have a better angle of something etc.

But try not to make a habit of it, go with their decisions when they look reasonably credible.

And to add to the confusion, the involvement of a CAR seems to depend on where you are in the country. I’d never heard of CAR involvement in the way @RefJef has described until I joined this forum. Any games around here their job is just flagging when the ball goes out of play.

And to add to the confusion, the involvement of a CAR seems to depend on where you are in the country. I’d never heard of CAR involvement in the way @RefJef has described until I joined this forum. Any games around here their job is just flagging when the ball goes out of play.
I’ve never seen CAR here nor any leagues that a level 7 would do that would even be able to do NAR.
I would definitely be interested in running the line but would have no idea how to even get into it

A bit of side tracking, we don't use CAR's and even if we did we will not be handing them flags (covid related). Since the resumption we often have games with two NAR's using different pattern flags as we are not allowed to share flags.

I suggest asking CAR's to use a team bib to flag to minimise contact.

Back