A&H

Getting back into it

xTheRef

Level 6 Referee
Hey!

I havent been an active football ref in about 3 years and subsequently haven't been on this forum since then (so long ive forgotten the login details)

I am looking to get back into it over summer and then registering for the new season in August/Sept.

I'm thinking about emailing a few local clubs offering to ref their games/tournaments where they need a ref (potentially for reduced rates if need be) just to get back into refereeing football again. I've been refereeing other sports, mainly rugby (ew. i know.) so not a lapsed ref, just lapsed at reffing footy. Is this a good idea just to get the general feel of the game back before doing league games or should I just straight away approach a league and offer? Before I stopped I had just been promoted to a level 6. Thanks in advance for advice!

The Referee Store
Hey!

I havent been an active football ref in about 3 years and subsequently haven't been on this forum since then (so long ive forgotten the login details)

I am looking to get back into it over summer and then registering for the new season in August/Sept.

I'm thinking about emailing a few local clubs offering to ref their games/tournaments where they need a ref (potentially for reduced rates if need be) just to get back into refereeing football again. I've been refereeing other sports, mainly rugby (ew. i know.) so not a lapsed ref, just lapsed at reffing footy. Is this a good idea just to get the general feel of the game back before doing league games or should I just straight away approach a league and offer? Before I stopped I had just been promoted to a level 6. Thanks in advance for advice!
First point of call is your local County FA (if you are in the UK) to check about re-registering and to check about Summer friendlies - some counties allow direct approaches by referees, some appoint via Appointment Secretaries, some allow clubs to find referees.
You also need to ask the CFA about next season - the level you will be allocated (7 or 6), procedure re league appointments, etc.
Welcome back!

I would recommend maybe start off with casual games which is very easy but will you can contact direct

powerleague
footyaddicts
567 leagues
dream leagues
Leisure leagues

these are mostly small sided games

these are mostly london based

I would recommend maybe start off with casual games which is very easy but will you can contact direct

powerleague
footyaddicts
567 leagues
dream leagues
Leisure leagues

these are mostly small sided games

these are mostly london based
Yeh, just stand there on half way doing nothing; waiting for it all to kick off. Then slip out and collect your dough!

Unless you're in dire need of the money, I would never recommend anyone ref small-sided leagues! Too many of them care more about the players coming back every week to fork over money than they do about looking after their referees.

oh yeah id never go back to small sided leagues. Not good at all compared to 11v11 on the grass

Unless you're in dire need of the money, I would never recommend anyone ref small-sided leagues! Too many of them care more about the players coming back every week to fork over money than they do about looking after their referees.
I helped out with Leisure leagues a few years ago. On week one, they told me not to bring any cards and just keep the game flowing. I never went back

Back