A&H

Getting a re crb/dbs

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I have been told i needed to renew by dbs / crb as i sometimes referee youth football.

I have now sent off the relevant forms and the total cost was £30.

If it's the FA insisting we need a CRB / DBS is it not right they pay for it?

If i remember correctly they paid for it 3 years ago. What's changed?

The Referee Store
FA funds being used elsewhere.

They need renewing every three years, so this will come around to all counties.

The costs are going fall back on referees. With the FA cuts, this is likely be more likely. perhaps the league you referee on could contribute, since they need the officials.

I stopped doing regular youth football over this. Funny that I can still officiate every four weeks without a DBS check!
Totally unnecessary imo, as a referee you hardly have 'significant' contact whilst in charge of a game, unlike team coaches or managers.

In Wales it's paid for by the FAW but the whole process of why a referees requires DBS clearance is a sham.

Any referee over 16 requires a DBS even if they referee Youth (u18) football

Yet teams have "coaches" who have violent criminal records but it is circumvented by not listing them as the official "coach".

Referees don't share changing facilities or showers with players in fact the only contact is non-physical on the field with numerous others in observance.

Yet a player who is 16 can play senior football and soap up with players in communal showers - who don't require a DBS clearance.

In fact I knew of an extremely violent u12s coach a few years back who physically assaulted the referee. The club panicked when it was discovered by the local FA that he had no DBS (nor did his sidekick!). Luckily for them after the game he took his frustration out on 2 policemen and served his ban at her majesty's pleasure. Still plays - still coaches juniors!

Hence it's all a sham……………….

The problem lies with the FA who determine that we need a DBS. Too frightened to accept that referees don't have significant contact. In other guises, I have worked with those in senior social welfare positions, the DBS check and its predecessor only ever highlight those already in the system....

come on guys ... does this really need breaking down? quite worrying coming from guys that look like they are parents/granddads! its not the 'contact' is it?

put yourself as a parent ... whom goes over to let little jimmy play his football game at under 12's football for example ... in the pub, a week later, or whenever! you find out through the grapevine that the referee has a past of being a pervert/paedophile and that he is allowed to cover these games as The FA deem it a non-requirement as he isn't actually 'in contact' with the kids ... don't tell me you are all going to sit there and say you WOULDN'T go mental at The FA? some of these dirt bags aren't allowed within certain distances of schools/play areas etc and I know it cannot be controlled in public, but when it is at an organised event and its the nonce in charge? hmmmm ...

in Essex it is customary to have an in date CRB regardless if you officiate only OA football or youth, which I think is good really (they also pay for it - or at least have the last 2)

It is deeper than who pays for it - it comes down to employment status.

In short, upto 3 years ago referees were classed as volunteers, and the legal status that comes with it = FA had to pay.

Then due to a court hearing over volunteers and expenses ya da ya were were reclassed - mainly due to the facet that we recieve a match fee, a fixed amount in lieu of anticipated expenses (not actual expenses incurred). To retaint he volunteer status we would have to down the route of acual expenses only, adutiting these claims, and as we are going through either The FA (a Ltd company), the County FA's, which are also Ltd companies, or to leagues that too are some Ltd companies, they would have to pay us based on claims made (not the clubs) and then they would have to collect these fees from clubs, claculate and redistribute these moneis accordingly andensure that we are paying the correct Income tax, NI etc of these monies.

This is why all statements re match fees include that "you are responsible for declaring and payment of any and all taxes levied against these incomes" or words to that effect.

But as we are no longer volunteers, the FA no longer has the burden to pay for our DBS - we are all technically self employed, and as such it is US that are WANTING to officiate on these leagues, not the FA / CFA that are INSTRUCTING us to work with people for whome a DBS is required.

All in all, legal status changed and as such the burdens required also have shifted. For 90% of officials it's a nice bit of cash in hand - probably making a loss over the course of a season but hey ho - If mr tax man gets interested thought it could get messy. For the few of us that are either Self Employed, or put it through the books it;s a bit more paperwork, but sheesh do i make a loss (which is then written off against other employed incomes :smug:

Thanks for that reply.

If my status has changed how come nobody at the CFA have written to me to let me know this?

If we are now deemed to be employed then maybe games that are cancelled we should be paid for? After all if we put that time aside and we are now deemed "employed" then a contract , of sorts,is involved.

Could people state which county they are in and if their DBS is paid for by the county? I am told Essex and London pay for their Refs.

Thanks for that reply.

If my status has changed how come nobody at the CFA have written to me to let me know this?

If we are now deemed to be employed then maybe games that are cancelled we should be paid for? After all if we put that time aside and we are now deemed "employed" then a contract , of sorts,is involved.

Could people state which county they are in and if their DBS is paid for by the county? I am told Essex and London pay for their Refs.

i paid for my own - Essex

Thanks for that reply.

As above - Middlesex pay for the CRB checks for referees.

It is deeper than who pays for it - it comes down to employment status.

In short, upto 3 years ago referees were classed as volunteers, and the legal status that comes with it = FA had to pay.

Then due to a court hearing over volunteers and expenses ya da ya were were reclassed

This is why all statements re match fees include that "you are responsible for declaring and payment of any and all taxes levied against these incomes" or words to that effect.

I have never seen or heard that or had to sign anything to that effect. My last "CRB" or whatever it's called, was last year and I was put down as a volunteer. That is the instruction from Essex CFA.

i paid for my own - Essex
Essex CFA will ask you to contribute £10 and should pay the rest (if any). If you don't have the certificate, then you can only do OA football, which is probably a good thing anyway.

London - pay your own.

Have aread of the T&C within your annual registration with your CFA. The onus is not on the authority to highlight changes, but as the individual you tick that little box that you have read & accept the T&C.

@KentRef if there is no contract, there is no contract. Payment for cancellations are covered under the match fees etc, but on an effective zero hours there is no recourse to remuneration if no "work" is required.

I paid mine in Dorset. But I can understand why we have to do them because we are around potentially vulnerable children and young people. We may not be in direct contact in them but as part of our role we are meant to keep the players safe while on the FOP. @Charlie Jones is right in his previous comment about what if you found out the ref from the U12s game at the weekend was a previous sex offender. One thing that is annoying is that if you do CRBs, you can register them online and then use a certain code for the next year (it may be three). This code is then transferrable. It would save so much time and money especially when you do lots (I do kids voluntary work)!

I have never seen or heard that or had to sign anything to that effect. My last "CRB" or whatever it's called, was last year and I was put down as a volunteer. That is the instruction from Essex CFA.

Essex CFA will ask you to contribute £10 and should pay the rest (if any). If you don't have the certificate, then you can only do OA football, which is probably a good thing anyway.

ah you know what, ive just checked back through my emails to actually see what i did do at the time, and i correct myself slightly... the certificate was paid for as part of the course fee.

Back