Level 5 Referee
Match #10
Germany v Japan
Wednesday, 23 November 2022
16:00 local time (13:00 GMT)
Ar-Rayyan

Referee: Iván Barton (SLV)

Assistant Referee 1: David Morán (SLV)
Assistant Referee 2: Zachari Zeegelaar (SUR)
Fourth Official: Said Martínez (HON)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Helpys Raymundo Feliz (DOM)
Video Assistant Referee: Mauro Vigliano (ARG)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Armando Villarreal (USA)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Katheryn Nesbitt (USA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Mahmoud Abouelregal (EGY)

I'll post the remaining 2 for tomorrow closer to the time (likely tomorrow morning GMT), in an attempt to not clog the channels too much

A&H International
Interesting penalty decision with two successive challenges by Japan's GK. I think the referee got it right to only blow after the second challenge.

Reactions: ARF
Interesting penalty decision with two successive challenges by Japan's GK. I think the referee got it right to only blow after the second challenge.
I think there’s a decent argument for the first too (haven’t seen a replay though!). One thing I wish they’d clamp down on though is the obvious intent to pressure penalty takers from the defending team.

That said, I love this ref’s style, comes across as very assured and controlled.

Seemed to take an age to reach a decision to determine Havertz was infact offside. Granted can be deceptive sometimes, but just looked well offside in normal time. :confused:

I think there’s a decent argument for the first too (haven’t seen a replay though!). One thing I wish they’d clamp down on though is the obvious intent to pressure penalty takers from the defending team.

That said, I love this ref’s style, comes across as very assured and controlled.
He missed him with the first one, second one kneed him in the back so definite penalty.

For many of us in the US, Barton is our favorite non-US referee. He’s one of only two eligible CONCACAF referees I trust to handle a US-Mexico game in the Estadio Azteca. He’s really, really good in my opinion.

EDIT-the one thing that could hold Barton back is his ARs are not good, as you’ve seen in this match. I’d love to see Barton with a couple of good American or Mexican ARs. I think he’s good enough to do a quarterfinal, but his ARs will likely let him down.

Last edited:
For many of us in the US, Barton is our favorite non-US referee. He’s one of only two eligible CONCACAF referees I trust to handle a US-Mexico game in the Estadio Azteca. He’s really, really good in my opinion.

EDIT-the one thing that could hold Barton back is his ARs are not good, as you’ve seen in this match. I’d love to see Barton with a couple of good American or Mexican ARs. I think he’s good enough to do a quarterfinal, but his ARs will likely let him down.
Can’t say I’ve heard of him before but I can see why he’d be a favourite! Looking forward to seeing more of him

What a lovely result. Enjoying this first round of games (except for those absolute toilet 0-0s)

Back