The Ref Stop

Gent v West Ham

DJIC

Tough night for referee Anastasios Sidiropoulos.

1.00 minute in Goal given, but VAR correctly advised & over turned as came off Aguerd's arm.

4.30 minute in Red Card, but VAR correctly advise & over turned as was a fair tackle.

To be fair handball impossible to spot by on-field match officials.

Red card caught out by quick change of possession in 92nd minute, got a poor angle, then clearly felt under-pressure & didn't manage restart well.

The Ref Stop
I felt for him after the overturned red card, he looked like a rabbit lost in headlights and his confidence was clearly shot to pieces. What happened after it was horrendous to watch, he couldn't even remember who he had shown the red card to and Mikael Antonio had to point him out.

Technically speaking, the disallowed goal should have been a caution. That wasn't accidental handling leading to a goal, Aguerd knew exactly what he was doing there in my opinion.

There was a moment where I actually thought he's going to miss the key part in the incident as he was distracted by one of the coaching staff and he then looked at the screen after the ball was touched by the defender but thankfully the full replay was shown to him before he made his decision.

As for a yellow card for handball I disagree, think it was a deflection and it hit his hand, nothing he could do about it and even if it was deliberate I don't think the ref could give a yellow card as he never saw any replays of it and VAR can't advise on giving yellows out.

Positives for VAR in this game, without it, 2 controversial incidents would of occured but of course the anti VAR folk won't think of it that way!

As for a yellow card for handball I disagree, think it was a deflection and it hit his hand, nothing he could do about it and even if it was deliberate I don't think the ref could give a yellow card as he never saw any replays of it and VAR can't advise on giving yellows out.

I don't think the red is quite right. While a potential yellow card cannot be the the trigger for review, that doesn't mean that a yellow can't arise from the process. The R can act on information from the VAR just as he can from an AR. This play sounds debatable (it's geoblocked for me), which suggests that it should not be something that gets a caution from the video review. But I'm quite confident that if the on-field team missed a true "hand of god" event, that the final decision following VAR review should be a caution. But I do think that it would result from the VAR recommending an OFR for deliberate handling in the APP. the R reviewing and then disallowing the goal and shooing the caution.

Back