A&H

Gave my first penalty today

Dave Mac

Under 12's cup game, scramble in the box, shot goes towards go and hits the defenders hand. It was missed, but was my first pen I've given.

Overall I didnt feel like I had a great game today, looking back my consistency could have been better. I think the heat didnt help, I didnt think it would effect me that much, but I think at times it effected my concentration and gave a few hand signals the wrong way.

BUT next week one game and I've done my 6 so can apply for level 7!

The Referee Store
Never easy in this heat, hats off to all those that got through this weekend. Dont be so harsh on yourself, chalk this one up to experience and move on to the next game.

Thanks ross. I'd been lucky that every game prior I felt really happy with my performance, but like everything we are going to have off days. I was just lucky that the match was a clean and even affair.

Well done Dave.. First one down, many to come!

The heat was a killer, I did three games this weekend too..I was definitely flat out by 9pm last night!

I was glad my first pen was so obvious.

the heat was really bad. We played 30 mins each way as standard but stopped for a drinks break after 15 mins, I dunno who was happier me or the kids playing for the break! The pitch we played on was slap bang in the middle of the park, absolutely no shade within about 500 yards, no breeze. Absolute killer.

Well it's like your first yellow and your first red, you want them to be obvious and not obscure.. Makes you feel much better about them!

I know how you feel. The game I did on Saturday was horrible. Must have been 30 degrees and they didn't want/ask for a break, so we just carried on with 45.. I was surprised as to how good I felt after the game, yes I was tired but not as much as I thought I would be. The fitness work over the summer must have worked :).

I had an exciting weekend a spectator came onto field and struck a player with corner flag post then a few hours after that my first red in an under 16's after being told to f off.

You mention that the ball "hit the defender's hand". Do you think, therefore, that this could not have been deliberate and, therefore, not have been an offence? A penalty is a crucial decision so it's probably one of the things you should look back on most.

You mention that the ball "hit the defender's hand". Do you think, therefore, that this could not have been deliberate and, therefore, not have been an offence? A penalty is a crucial decision so it's probably one of the things you should look back on most.

Even though its 'hit the defenders hand', its still punishable if its changed the route of the ball away from the goal. At the end of the day, its down to the opinion of the official on the day.

Even though its 'hit the defenders hand', its still punishable if its changed the route of the ball away from the goal. At the end of the day, its down to the opinion of the official on the day.

How do you figure? Myriam-Webster defines "deliberate" thusly: "characterized by awareness of the consequences." If the ball hits the player on the hand and falls down while the player has his hands glued against his side or in an otherwise natural position, than how has he deliberately handled the ball? In another thread, I gave four considerations which one must answer positively before deciding to blow for a handball.

How do you figure? Myriam-Webster defines "deliberate" thusly: "characterized by awareness of the consequences." If the ball hits the player on the hand and falls down while the player has his hands glued against his side or in an otherwise natural position, than how has he deliberately handled the ball? In another thread, I gave four considerations which one must answer positively before deciding to blow for a handball.

Its still a DOGSO offence if it is heading towards the goal, regardless of wether it is deliberate or not. That is my opinion on it.

If it was a deliberate DOGSO offence, then yes I would also sanction them with a Red.

The reason I would give a penalty, even if it wasnt deliberate, is down to match control, especially at park level, because if that ball doesnt enter the goal after hitting the hand of a defender, and you allow play to go on, you're opening yourself up to a world of problems.

I would only give a penalty if the handball in the area is deliberate. If a shot is rocketing towards goal and hits a hand then I dont think its fair to really punish it.

The penalty I mentioned in this one there was a scramble in the box, one lad was on the floor and as the shot was taken his arm was outstretched and knocked the ball away. Had it been an adult game I would have reached for the red, but being under 12's the penalty is punishment enough. As a referee I dont think at that age enforcing the law that strictly is the way forward. It was a good natured game and a red card would have been really harsh on the lad as I think more than anything it was just a reflex reaction rather than someone obviously trying to cheat.

Ahh, I'd failed to note it was a youth game :p

But then the old argument of, treat them the same from a young age..

sometimes its tricky to treat them the same. I mean doing kids games you can be pretty sure that you'll have them crying due to injury at least 3 or 4 times a game. So i think in that sense its hard to treat them as adults when you get that kinda thing making it glaringly obvious they are not.

I find with the kids a strong word is more than enough. So often I've been having a word and think one more peep, and if or a but from them and I'll get the cards out and as of yet I havent had to. Maybe I'm a bit soft.

at the moment just youth, but signed up to an open age this week.

I thought kids would be good for getting used to it and also was my main motivation for getting into refereeing as there was a lack of youth league refs. But what I'm finidng at the moment is there is hardly any banter. Some of the older kids you get a bit, but the younger ones wont say a word to you all game, so ends up being a bit lonely for an hour.

Back