A&H

Game Today, Your opinion please

Ginger_Ref1902

Level 5 Referee
Right all, was assistant refereeing today and had the incident as follows:

Green V Yellow

Green are on the attack, player passes the ball forward and two players, 1 from green 1 from yellow go in for the ball.
Ball is played forward to the green player in an offside position by one of the players, but due to the two players going in at the same time have no idea who has played the ball.

Green continued up the field of play and eventually scored.

What would you of done?

I will reveal what I did, after your views :)

The Referee Store
Stand you ground and beckon the referee over and ask who played the ball, if it is the player who was in an offside position raise the flag and explain to the referee

Stand you ground and beckon the referee over and ask who played the ball, if it is the player who was in an offside position raise the flag and explain to the referee

But what if it wasn't? Then you would have just denied the team a goal scoring opportunity by your own incompetence! Oh yeah and everyone in the ground would know it....!

But what if it wasn't? Then you would have just denied the team a goal scoring opportunity by your own incompetence! Oh yeah and everyone in the ground would know it....!

Then you do the complete opposite, keep you flag down and inform the referee he can award the goal

I'm with you, Ryan....I think that hatters jumped in a little quickly there....possibly through his own incompetence...and everyone on the site knows it :)

Did the o/p follow the ball down to the goal-line and then stand his ground there once the ball was in the net

Did he then raise his flag to attract the refs attention or signal him/her over

Did the ref b@llock him after the game or simply talk it through like a reasonable individual

Should he have just kept schtum

Good o/p, interesting situation

I'm with you, Ryan....I think that hatters jumped in a little quickly there....possibly through his own incompetence...and everyone on the site knows it :)

Did the o/p follow the ball down to the goal-line and then stand his ground there once the ball was in the net

Did he then raise his flag to attract the refs attention or signal him/her over

Did the ref b@llock him after the game or simply talk it through like a reasonable individual

Should he have just kept schtum

Good o/p, interesting situation

If you want a whole team on your back because you have just called the referee over only for the referee to confirm that it was not offside then be my guest. Because that's exactly what would happen it you did that.

If you want a whole team on your back because you have just called the referee over only for the referee to confirm that it was not offside then be my guest. Because that's exactly what would happen it you did that.

Not really, I'm not sure what sort of teams you've been refereeing, but generally teams want the correct decisions and if that takes a quick word with the referee, then so be it.

Not really, I'm not sure what sort of teams you've been refereeing, but generally teams want the correct decisions and if that takes a quick word with the referee, then so be it.

I'm not sure you understand the point I'm trying to make. If you stop play to consult the referee and you find out that the player was in fact onside, how would you/the referee restart play?

Last edited:
I'm not sure you understand the point I'm trying to make. If you stop play to consult the referee and you find out that the player was in fact offside, how would you/the referee restart play?

Well if you come to the conclusion that the player IS offside as you state, then you'd restart with an IDFK as you would do for any other offside decision, surely?

I think you are misunderstanding each other.

What I think the suggestion is, that you let play continue, then after the goal is scored call the ref over to check who he thought played the ball through then either allow the goal or come back for the offside.

Is that it?

Last edited:

What I think the suggestion is, that you let play continue, then after the goal is scored call the ref over to check who he thought played the ball though then either allow the goal or come back for the offside.

Is that it?
That was how I read it

What I think the suggestion is, that you let play continue, then after the goal is scored call the ref over to check who he thought played the ball through then either allow the goal or come back for the offside.

Is that it?

Exactly what I meant, couldn't have put it better myself :)

Is that it?

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up Supermonkey. That's not how I read it. I read it as: stopping play to talk to the ref'. However, if it is as you have described then obviously that would be acceptable. Sorry.

Is that it?

Correct.

I allowed play to go on. Once the goal was scored, I didnt signal for a goal I stood my ground and called ref accross, ask who it came off and he wasn't 100% sure either so we awarded the goal.

Back