A&H

Game on Astro

Harry

Level 6 Referee
Not a match incident as such but got a last minute pitch change today and we're on an astro pitch instead. There's a thin metal strip running above the pitch, if the ball hits it then it pretty much just stops. Would I be right in thinking that in this scenario we play on, as if it was a cornerflag? Just worried it could lead to a clearance being preventing and that leads to a goal

The Referee Store
Drop ball. The cornerflag and post are part of the field of play, a metal strip above the pitch isn't. You might want to tell the managers and captains that this will happen if the ball hits it.

Drop ball. The cornerflag and post are part of the field of play, a metal strip above the pitch isn't. You might want to tell the managers and captains that this will happen if the ball hits it.

Really? I did consider the idea of a drop ball but what if a striker is through on goal and I stop the game for a drop ball? All hell will break loose but I suppose I can't win no matter what I do

Really? I did consider the idea of a drop ball but what if a striker is through on goal and I stop the game for a drop ball? All hell will break loose but I suppose I can't win no matter what I do

A drop ball means that neither side benefits. There's always going to be some moaning.

One of the pitches we (occasionally) play on has wires coming across the pitch about 10 yards outside the penalty area at either end. They have a "house rule" that if the ball hits it directly from a restart (free kick, goal kick, etc), then the restart is simply retaken, otherwise it's an IFK for the defending team underneath the wire.

Nobody seems to have real issue with things done that way (fortunately).

I would simply tell the captains at the toss that we can have a drop ball every time or play on... your choice

In law its a droppped ball. Not sure how "house rules" would go down under assessment
As long as it's made clear at the start, assessors haven't seemed to have an issue with it -- and by made clear, I mean... "By Law this should be a drop ball, but facility rules have dictated that X, Y, Z."

From that point on, as long as it is applied consistently and such, then all is (typically) good.

Glad I asked about this, happened twice in the first three minutes. Would have been ridiculous to play on in the circumstances in which it happened. Thankfully they were two good sporting teams and they were happy just to give it to the team who lost out on possession

Wait, what ?
The facility acknowledged that it had some issues and put some rules particular to their field in place.

One does not need to necessarily follow them, and indeed, in certain competitions, they are not used, but for general "house league" stuff, those particular rules work pretty well, and limit the amount of complaining and other such issues.

That the same for the overhanging trees then is it?

Or is the pitch and surroundings not actually fir for purpose.

Back