A&H

Game called off at halftime

Adrock

I'm a new ref and called a game off at half time this weekend due to conditions. The rain was torruntual in first half and thr pitch getting worse and worse. A player slid into the goal keeper and injured him. I hhave had feedback I should have consulted managers and players before making the decision. Any thoughts? I'm pretty sure they would have all said they wanted to play on.

The Referee Store
Hi - You have the authority to call off the game if you feel it would endanger the players, so you did the right thing... Its your final decision as the Match Official.
As a note, you do not need to consult with the managers on such matter, because as you say, they would always want to play on to their own advantage. Your decision is unbiased and fair.
Once you've made your decision, just be clear and concise to the managers on your decision, and call it off. No more discussion is required, and for youth football, its more a safeguarding issue with that weather.
Well done!!

Absolutely your call to make, no obligation to discuss it with anyone.

Sometimes a good idea to canvass opinions though. If you have players telling you they think it is dangerous you then have some extra ammo when people complain at the decision.

When I was 16 and had just started playing we were due to play against a reserve team. Their first team, from two divisions above ours, didn’t have a fixture so they would be playing instead of the reserves. When we got to the ground it was totally frozen. In addition, one end was covered in mole hills which were also frozen, so these were basically rocks sticking out of the ground. We didn’t want to play because of the danger. They still wanted to play because they thought they’d win easily. Fortunately the referee agreed with us because the ground was really dangerous

if you do ask for opinions still make your own decision, because players will usually believe the conditions are better than they really are, until the time someone gets hurt. Then they’ll remind you that they told you it was really dangerous and they didn’t want to play!

Having experienced something very similar a couple of seasons ago, I now make sure everyone is under no illusion what my thoughts are. Generally setting it up with comments to captains and managers like "The pitch isn't holding up very well is it" or "If the rain carries on like this, I'll not have much choice but to call it off". Usually followed up with something like "We'll keep going while we can, but if it gets worse I'm not risking a serious injury."
That way it's not a surprise to anyone if I make the decision and as mentioned above it isn't a discussion, more a case of keeping all interested parties updated.

Nothing wrong with making a call at half time based on safety concerns.

Personally, when making a pre-match decision on whether or not the match should actually start, I always try and envisage how things are likely to turn out after say, 20 mins in. If I think there's a chance the match won't finish, I'll err on the side of caution and call it before KO time. I might pi55 both teams off with that but (IMO) it's better than ending it all after 1 team is 2 or 3 nil up.
Having said that, I've only ever vetoed 2 matches before KO in the 11 seasons I've been refereeing so generally, if I start, we finish after 90 mins.

Everyone is different though and I guess it'd be worse to start the match, have players moaning about the conditions before and during the game and then think to yourself "I probably shouldn't have started this fixture".

It would have to be really bad for me to abandon mid-game for rain. I'd rather abandon all summer games on concrete before KO
Use Match Control competencies to manage 'safety'

Last edited:
I allowed a game to go ahead one late autumn afternoon on what turned out to be a mud bath. I should have called it at half time if not sooner, but allowed it to continue as it wasn't particularly dangerous. I start getting some comments from the sideline about keeping up with play and I had to shout over my feet were getting stuck. I should have just called it. The ball moved fine but the players were also getting stuck.
Anyways, I didn't call it, and the pitch was badly damaged. No matches took part on that pitch for nearly 3 months until they could get it back in playable condition.
So, its worth remembering if you do call it off, that when speaking with the home side to remind them that playing on in torrential rain could significantly damage the surface and they won't have anywhere to play until it is repaired.

Nothing wrong with making a call at half time based on safety concerns.

Personally, when making a pre-match decision on whether or not the match should actually start, I always try and envisage how things are likely to turn out after say, 20 mins in. If I think there's a chance the match won't finish, I'll err on the side of caution and call it before KO time. I might pi55 both teams off with that but (IMO) it's better than ending it all after 1 team is 2 or 3 nil up.
Having said that, I've only ever vetoed 2 matches before KO in the 11 seasons I've been refereeing so generally, if I start, we finish after 90 mins.

Everyone is different though and I guess it'd be worse to start the match, have players moaning about the conditions before and during the game and then think to yourself "I probably shouldn't have started this fixture".
Completely agree, I won't start it if there is a significant chance it won't end. Annoyed a few teams over the years, but would no doubt have annoyed one of them a whole lot more if it had been started and then abandoned at half time with them leading.

Classic example is evening games in freezing or frosty conditions. Everyone might tell you it is just about playable at 7pm, but it is only going to get colder and a pitch borderline at 7pm will almost certainly be unplayable by 9pm.

Reactions: Kes
I would say that if it was bad enough to call it off at HT, then there were indicators of this before KO so if this were the case, it’s worth saying to the managers before KO that’ll we start the game as it is now and see how it goes and hope it doesn’t get too much worse. At least then they are prepared

I would say that if it was bad enough to call it off at HT, then there were indicators of this before KO so if this were the case, it’s worth saying to the managers before KO that’ll we start the game as it is now and see how it goes and hope it doesn’t get too much worse. At least then they are prepared
I've done that in the past, but trust me when I say even if they were OK with that at the time, they certainly won't be when you call it off and they were winning. If you are telling them you will be starting it and see how it goes I would argue that you really shouldn't be starting it.

I've done that in the past, but trust me when I say even if they were OK with that at the time, they certainly won't be when you call it off and they were winning. If you are telling them you will be starting it and see how it goes I would argue that you really shouldn't be starting it.
Yes agree with Rusty. Always going to get some moans when you call it off, but l would think more so if you do it at half time.

Had to call my game off on Saturday. Really frustrating as I was being observed!!

Ball dropped into ground and just fell flat - if was just in one area I might have been able to give benefit of the doubt, but it was in three areas, one of the areas was right next to the centre circle in drop zone for goal kicks. So called it.

Quite nerve wracking to make the decision with an assessor there, but was pleased that he agreed with my decision (even though I initially forgot to take a ball out with me for the inspection!!!)

I have renamed the pitch as the Croydon Marshlands.

Attachments

• 18E305A5-AA8B-4F38-895A-67C7582CC034.jpeg
    18E305A5-AA8B-4F38-895A-67C7582CC034.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 463B18FB-F0AA-4B91-A947-A03AE29978C5.jpeg
    463B18FB-F0AA-4B91-A947-A03AE29978C5.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 21
Back