A&H

Funny moment + Penalty?

Robert King

This was fun: Had myself a U13 match today. A thrilling 2-3, scored in the last minute, but the highlight must have been in the 5 minutes break.

After I gave a penalty to team B (the away team), the assistent referee went crazy. Alright, it was an easy given penalty, I'll get to that later. Anyway, already after the penalty was scored, the assistent walked on the field. I told and then yelled: Wait for the break "grens!" (Grens is short for grensrechter which is AR in Dutch). Before the match, the guy told me he was a referee too, so I was thinking that he might add an extra insight into my decision, from which I might actually learn.
Too bad that that weren't his intentions.
Red headed, he came marching at me: "Ref, if you gave a pen for that, you must give a yellow for the handbal!

Me: Sorry?

Him: The handball from the goalkeeper!

Yes the goalkeeper did touch the ball with his hand outside the 16. I gave a DFK, no yellow. He was 10 or something. I don't know about England, but giving a yellow card to a 10 year old isn't very common here.

Me: No sir, that's no yellow.

Him: You gave a penalty for the back-pass on the goalkeeper, so the handball is a yellow!

Me:

Him: I'm gonna send in a complaint.

Me: I gave a penalty because the player got shoved in the back after shooting the ball.

Him: No the players were walking next to each other. (They weren't)

Me:

Me: Just go, players are coming on.

Him: Yes I will go.

Parents at the sideline: What was that about?

Him: Ref shoulda given a yellow for the handball from the goalie.

Parents: No? What the hell?

Him: I am a ref myself!!!!

Parents: Haha then what kind of ref are you?

After they won the match, the guy was so happy he personally brought me the jacket that I had the trainer keep for me during the match.

Also: This was a shortened version, real one went on for five minutes or so'
I doubt he is a ref at all, and if he is, he won't be a very good one.

Anyway: The penalty.
The player shot the ball, and the player running behind him couldn't stop and walked right into him, also kicking him somewhere on the leg. Player went down crying (literally) and I gave a penalty.
I think this was slighty easy given. I don't see this happening in the professional world. A penalty given for a player walking into someone after the attacker shot the ball. Could I have given the penalty? And what would you guys do with a guy like this. I literally couln't get rid of him after it started. I threatened that I would have him replaced if he went on like this, didn't do much good, he actually was just returning to the players and then came back again.

Anyway, looking forward to your replies!

The Referee Store
It is a big debate in England about when to start issueing cards but at that age I wouldnt caution for that.

Also depends on how the keeper has handled the ball out of his area. If a keeper accidently carries the ball outside his area in the process of kicking from hand or claiming a cross, then a card would seem harsh especially at youth level. If however the keeper comes charging out of the area and swats the ball away, then it's almost certainly a nailed on card!

Unfortunately there is a myth, not helped by some referees, that any handling offence outside the area by the keeper is an automatic red! :mad:

Hey guys, thanks for the input. The thing was that the ball was slowly bouncing towards the goalkeeper's legs. However, the lines were badly visible, it was night, headlights gave a dirty yellow look, all in all, visibility wasn't great. Goalkeeper ducked down for a sec to pick the ball up, halfway realised he was outside and just lightly touching the ball he backed off again. I can totally understand this mistake, as I have done the same in the past. Even picked it up in my hands and clamped it to my chest. Attacker could have easily scored if not for that haha. But ref didn't even give a yellow :').

Anyway, this is besides the point. I was more wondering about the penalty and how you guys would have handled an assistent referee raging like this?

Penalty, I am not so sure about it is probably a HTBT situation as how long after ball was kicked etc?

Yellow card to 10 yo erm for attempting to pick ball up in poor light just outside the box and from your description not actually picking it up? Not convinced...

As for your friend - Thank you for your input it is noted, however ITOOTR i.e. me the offence didn't warrant a yellow card and I have no intention of giving one. If you would kindly resume your duty on the line and if I need your opinion on any further incidents I will give it to you .

A quiet reminder of "i will call all fouls and missconduct please do throw ins, corners etc etc. If he carrys on ask a for a replacement. As for the penalty you can only judge as you saw the incident. A different angle and you might not have given it but the main issue is the CAR. It always seems a good idea to have a CAR or coach let you know they are a ref but from my limited experience those words now fill me with dread. On Sunday had a coach who said he was a ref, first 5 minutes he would not shut up about my decisions until I told him I was reffing the game and to button it, give him his due he did.

i'm not a fan pf players / CARs / coaches who announce themselves as refs and then try and use it to sway you or as an excuse for them to be demonstrative with their disagreements.
surely they know how it works... you, as man in the middle have final say on everything and dont appreciate dissent etc.
I did a game last month and had it the other way which was lovely... a L4 who'd had his game cancelled. I overruled him on 2 offsides during the first half... no complaints, but we had a discrete and brief discussion at half time about our viewpoints on each situation. i then felt that i could approach him at full time and ask for some development points , which he was pleased to oblige with

I ran the line once for my mates team (was over there watching, he asked me too lol) - didn't tell anyone I was a referee etc ...

at the end of the game the ref came over and said thank you and 'joked' I should take up the whistle ... when I told him I had and i was he said it made sense! lol and thanked me for not mentioning it prior to the game and not picking up mistake's etc.

Went to watch a match with 5 fellow refs we stood on the side line and dissected the ref's every decision, funny thing was we rarely all agreed, I learnt a lesson that day that every situation has a person's own interpretation and whilst we can all see exactly the same thing, we all see it differently!

i'm not a fan pf players / CARs / coaches who announce themselves as refs and then try and use it to sway you or as an excuse for them to be demonstrative with their disagreements.
surely they know how it works... you, as man in the middle have final say on everything and dont appreciate dissent etc.
I did a game last month and had it the other way which was lovely... a L4 who'd had his game cancelled. I overruled him on 2 offsides during the first half... no complaints, but we had a discrete and brief discussion at half time about our viewpoints on each situation. i then felt that i could approach him at full time and ask for some development points , which he was pleased to oblige with

You had a level 4 run your line and you had to over rule two of his offside decisions??? What was he a level 4 in, id like to think not refereeing!!

hm Apologies the word over rule a bit strong... waved his flag down twice. Once when a ball ran through for a GK and then just a viewpoint difference for the second one ... player he thought may have been interfering actually wasn't from my angle.
I wasn't attempting to paint a poor picture of this fella , quite the opposite. He was very good. Just got on with things as opposed to the ones I hate who get very vocal and contradictory when you see things differently

hm Apologies the word over rule a bit strong... waved his flag down twice. Once when a ball ran through for a GK and then just a viewpoint difference for the second one ... player he thought may have been interfering actually wasn't from my angle.
I wasn't attempting to paint a poor picture of this fella , quite the opposite. He was very good. Just got on with things as opposed to the ones I hate who get very vocal and contradictory when you see things differently

Glad you cleared that up, as I like Cheshire Ref was worried that a L4 couldn't get decisions right on a game that didn't normally have neutral assistants. Given they normally operate on the line at the 7th and 8th tiers of English football that would be extremely worrying ..!

Also depends on how the keeper has handled the ball out of his area. If a keeper accidently carries the ball outside his area in the process of kicking from hand or claiming a cross, then a card would seem harsh especially at youth level.! :mad:

Not harsh - completely wrong at any level.

Hi all, haven't checked in here for some while. Really fun to read all the replies. Especially the part that every referee sees things differently.
I, too, haven't had the best experiences with people who tell prior to the match that they are a ref, except for today though. Had an assisent-referee / player tell me he was a referee, although I'm not sure if he was joking or not. Anyway, he did a great job. Also had a coach telling me that he was a referee and had some trouble with him. First with a penalty, under 15. Goalkeeper and player swap, but don't change shirt. Me, being just a rookie, didn't know the exact rules for this, but the coach told me he was a referee, and he was screaming and waving on the side. Well, me being stupid pulled the conclusion that the swap was not allowed, though all he meant was that they had to change shirts....... :shifty:

About the penalty, ball was maybe kicked 0,5 seconds/1 second prior before the player got hit in the back. I personally don't like to give these kinds of penalty. Even though what everyone says: "If you'd give a free kick for it halfway on the field, you must give a penalty for it." Not really a fan of that. BTW, had a few potential penalty kicks today, will open a topic about it today.

Back