A&H

Open Age Funniest thing I heard this weekend

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Sunday league game today. Standard was awful and loads of moaning from both sides about everything, neither captain helpful, both felt it gave them a shield to say what they liked.

Had the usual "He didn't swear at you, so it's not dissent" from one of them after I'd booked one of his players.

The one that really made me laugh was another lad I booked for dissent, he told me "it's Sunday morning football, I can say what I like."

I had the last laugh, he gave away the free kick that lead to the winning goal, then 10 minutes after that managed to talk himself into a second yellow card

The Referee Store
Watching an U15 EJA player argueing with his coach. I love it when teams argue within theirselves!!!!

Had the usual "He didn't swear at you, so it's not dissent" from one of them after I'd booked one of his players.

Players can be complete muppets at times!

Yesterday I had a player say to a teammate over the other side of the pitch 'this ref is f****ng sh**' when I was a few yards away and was genuinely shocked to receive a caution:rolleyes:

"Crowd" comments directed at me (AR)

" ........at least he gave you a dodgy pen"

1) It wasn't "dodgy" and

2) I didn't 'give it' - referee did.
Yeah, apart from that spot on!

When I'm on "crowd"/bench side I really can't get over the comments from both - all these from ONE match

"You saw that lino" - Its 80 yards from me, 20 yards from other AR and 5 yards from the ref - but hey, yes let me make a decision on that one

"Head injury, head injury - you've got to stop the game ref" - Player couldn't continue because of an injury....to her ankle.

" Handball?! Can't be from that distance" - Player had hands above head in a 'save' manner and ball was hit from 20 yards away

"Elbow there lino, you saw that" - No elbow, ref 5 yards away and no appeal from oppo players

And my personal favourite from the bench that concede virtually any foul - " She got the ballllllllllll, ref she got the ball"

Ho hum, maybe I should try ear plugs!

As the physio(?) came on to attend to an injured player who was clutching his ankle he shouted "watch out for the elbows ref". I had to say "I missed him being elbowed on the ankle, sorry".

"You saw that lino" - Its 80 yards from me, 20 yards from other AR and 5 yards from the ref - but hey, yes let me make a decision on that one

This is one that is becoming increasingly annoying for me. People that have never officiated before seem to have no grasp on the concept of credibility and who is in the best position to see what. Ugh, so frustrating

Thats an elbow, is very common and tbh, it can be a hard one to spot, however, generally, if someone has been elbowed, they are usually near out cold on ground with blood gushing out them and not able to tell you what day of the week it is, far less describe whats happened to them. Hardest bone in the body and if you been elbowed, on purpose, its usually clear from your injury whats happened.

Thats an elbow, is very common and tbh, it can be a hard one to spot, however, generally, if someone has been elbowed, they are usually near out cold on ground with blood gushing out them and not able to tell you what day of the week it is, far less describe whats happened to them. Hardest bone in the body and if you been elbowed, on purpose, its usually clear from your injury whats happened.

Great piece of advice I got relating to an elbow and determining intent, watch the hands of the offending player as he jumps.

If the hand is open then it's normally accidental, if he's jumped with a clenched fist, then it's most likely to be intentional.

But ref it was a goal! Yes it was indeed sir hence you are only getting a yellow instead of a red for handling that ball on the goal line!! :cool::cool::cool:

'The refs cheating us out of this' - 'ref you can't book me for that I didn't say it too you' nah you're right I can't book you mate:redcard:

But ref it was a goal! Yes it was indeed sir hence you are only getting a yellow instead of a red for handling that ball on the goal line!! :cool::cool::cool:

Please tell me you did indeed use the word "hence" when speaking to a player. I have to try that one day. ha ha.

Sunday league game today. Standard was awful and loads of moaning from both sides about everything, neither captain helpful, both felt it gave them a shield to say what they liked.

I've had that, after a coach called me a gobful, came onto the field and said I was incompetent. So, sent him away. "I didn't swear at you!" "Glad we agree, now leave to the carpark"

Similarly, had a defender, almost on the penalty spot, scream at my AR "you f****** cheating c***!"
Red card, teammate comes up, "ref ref ref, no no no, he called him a f****** cheeky c***"
"....so, you agree that he swore at my assistant?"

Back