A&H

Full time.

one

RefChat Addict
I don't blow full time when I can see a reasonable chance of a goal being scored in the next 5 seconds or so. I know some referees blow the whistle on the dot and for some others the ball has to be in a neutral position.

Blowing full time before a corner kick is taken is another interesting debate.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

The Referee Store
I'm with you, if there's an immediate promising chance, I'll let it go. If there's a corner kick, throw-in, etc about to be taken and time's up?

Sorry. Time's up.

Though, if the player is in the motion to kick the ball when time expires, I'll be inclined to let the kick go and as soon as the defense clears that ball, whistle goes.

Stoppage time is discretionary anyway, and never 100% accurate, so there is that justification in the delay.
Corner kicks are like free kicks - but why are we expected to extend time for them if not specified in the laws? But then again, why not consider the ball being out of play at that moment a stoppage itself and justify extending time?

Here's a tip: If you're in that 'wait for the attack to finish' phase and you award a free kick to the defence, don't use that opportunity to just blow for time - go through the motions of the free kick first.

However, where I used to referee, we were strictly advised that no stoppage time is to be played at all, except in first grade. So then, I don't care if the shot has been taken and is in midair to an open goal; allowing it to continue is just wrong, and completely unjustifiable.

I try and blow when the ball is in the air, after a goal kick, or a defensive clearance etc - but like @CapnBloodbeard said, if im about to blow up but then there's a goal kick etc. ...I always wait for it to be taken - I've even told players before when they ask how long left ... 'we are literally going to play this kick, be prepared to catch the ball' usually gets a nice, cheers ref, as a pre warning for them

We should be blowing the whistle when time is up but we also need to manage the end of the match. If there's an immediate goal scoring chance the I would let it continue and see what happens. If a goal is scored I would usually allow the kick off to be retaken then blow the whistle rather than call full time immediately.

If I'm thinking about blowing because time is up but there is an immediate scoring opportunity, I let it, but, if the opportunity turns into a corner, I'd blow the whistle for full time

So a team is winning with seconds to go and you will allow the corner to be taken to see if a goal scoring opportunity occurs, then you are giving the advantage to the losing side especially in a promotion/cup match.I would say, if asked by a player,"time is up as soon as the ball is kicked" This has happened a few times especially with a corner and have had no problems.
I would never "wait and see" the outcome of a corner and give that team an advantage. Last weeks ref looming.........

In my case, only if the player is kicking the ball as time expires. Much like a free kick taken toward the goal as time expires.

I'll wait to see the immediate outcome and then finish the game off. Similar to futsal in that respect.

For those unfamiliar with Futsal; it runs on a stop clock and a full time buzzer (if available). In short the law allows for a goal to stand if the ball enter the goal after the full time buzzer but it was kicked before the buzzer provided its all in the same phase of play (i.e deflection is accepted).

I would never blow full time straight after a goal bound kick, corner or not. The implications are too big if that ball goes into the goal directly or with a deflection.

Last edited:
I will always allow a decent attack to pan out as my clock stopping will never be 100% accurate.
I might allow a corner, but will not allow a 2nd one.
One pet hate of mine is the referee who could blow when the ball is blasted over the bar, but chooses to let the keeper go fetch it and take the goal kick before blowwing. Why? Because they do it on TV?
Just blow up when the ball goes out for a GK

One pet hate of mine is the referee who could blow when the ball is blasted over the bar, but chooses to let the keeper go fetch it and take the goal kick before blowwing. Why?

Because I want the ball back to leave the FOP with it :D
So in that situation, either the GK is going to fetch the ball anyway and give it to me (fairly unlikely, even if they won); either I got to fetch it, either I let it there

Reactions: SM
If its a draw in a knockout match in a cup/tournament, and attackers are in the final third, keep going and hope they score - avoids extra time / penalties ;)

I will always allow a decent attack to pan out as my clock stopping will never be 100% accurate.
I might allow a corner, but will not allow a 2nd one.
One pet hate of mine is the referee who could blow when the ball is blasted over the bar, but chooses to let the keeper go fetch it and take the goal kick before blowwing. Why? Because they do it on TV?
Just blow up when the ball goes out for a GK

At park level no one gets the ball back then!:p

Who is to say exactly how much time you should play anyway at the end of a game as added on time? Do those saying "times up, game over" precisely stop the watch each time the game requires it and then play exactly that amount of time at the end? Me has me doubts.

:D

Just in case anyone has not seen the clive thomas decision.

And a tip on getting the ball back. Don't blow full time when the losing team has it even if it is at a stoppage. Often they just punt the ball as far as they can in disappointment after you blow the whistle :)

Last edited:
Back