A&H

Fulham vs Wolves

SW20

Level 6 Referee
Anybody seen the goal just disallowed by VAR for offside? I have absolutely no idea how they came to such a conclusion, beyond me.

Attachments

• Eyjoa7GW8AcRtgd.jpeg
    Eyjoa7GW8AcRtgd.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 19
The Referee Store
Just venting about this on a zoom chat

Absolute abomination. If you think that's offside and the lines are drawn in the right place you needs your eyes checking

Get ****ing rid of this ****e

I've said it before--if VAR is really about fixing clear errors, then everyone should use the MLS model: no lines! If an error by the AR cannot be found in a brief period without drawing lines, then it isn't an error and the call on the field stands.

But then, if Wegner has his way, this will be automated by next year's world cup . . .

Just venting about this on a zoom chat

Absolute abomination. If you think that's offside and the lines are drawn in the right place you needs your eyes checking

Get ****ing rid of this ****e

It really is spoiling the game of football at the top level now, it's dreadful.

I've said it before--if VAR is really about fixing clear errors, then everyone should use the MLS model: no lines! If an error by the AR cannot be found in a brief period without drawing lines, then it isn't an error and the call on the field stands.

But then, if Wegner has his way, this will be automated by next year's world cup . . .

The "clear and obvious error" mantra was supposed to inform VAR decisions but the PGMOL have never abided by that, even though that's the basis it was sold to fans on when it was first adopted.

People don't want to see toenail offsides and 50/50 decisions overturned, they want the howlers dealt with and that's it. What don't the bigwigs like Riley and others not understand?

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one fuming.
Although I’ve had my criticisms of JM this season, he should take a bow for the advantage played at the end of the game.

I need to go and lie down now!

Last edited:
It is annoying, but clear and obvious was never intended to apply to offside. Offside is black and white, you are on or off, you will almost never be exactly level. I keep coming back to the fact that clubs, players, even supporters, wanted this, but now they don't want it because they don't like it. There were complaints about goals when players were centimetres on or offside, take away VAR those complaints would just come back. I don't really see an easy solution to this.

It is annoying, but clear and obvious was never intended to apply to offside. Offside is black and white, you are on or off, you will almost never be exactly level. I keep coming back to the fact that clubs, players, even supporters, wanted this, but now they don't want it because they don't like it. There were complaints about goals when players were centimetres on or offside, take away VAR those complaints would just come back. I don't really see an easy solution to this.
Totally agree. You can just write the script now, if this was implemented, for the first week under an MLS style system. There will be an extremely close offside call and managers, players and fans will almost certainly come out with the line "we were denied three points today" quickly followed by affirmation that it was actually the current system that is desired.

Exactly right.

I've looked at this multiple times both on TV and the net
It's level For Flips Sake
Although Nuno was moaning about a hand being mm offside :eek:

I never wanted it ;)
I feel quite vindicated at this point. (Gives self pat on the back, biscuit etc.)

Horrible decision. More evidence that the protocol is flawed. Problem now is we will be on to a new iteration of the "technology" and protocol every few years now and it's going to be a rolling mess. And become even more divorced from normal football, while wasting a metric fu** tonne of cash.

Feet only, is a better idea if we're gonna have two sets of rules
There is no good fix however. FACT

Last edited:
Totally agree. You can just write the script now, if this was implemented, for the first week under an MLS style system. There will be an extremely close offside call and managers, players and fans will almost certainly come out with the line "we were denied three points today" quickly followed by affirmation that it was actually the current system that is desired.

I’d MUCH rather have the windbags make fools of themselves for this than suffer through these ridiculous VAR reviews.

Take a poll of 100 neutral fans to see if this play should be overturned. I’d bet a decent amount of money that 97-99 of them would say to keep the call on the field.

Also remember that part of TV punditry is to manufacture drama.

Offside is black and white, you are on or off, you will almost never be exactly level.
I'm not sure quite how often players are level but just by the law of averages they have to be level sometimes and yet somehow with the VAR system, they never, ever are.

I actually think that, especially given the limits of the current technology, they should relatively often be judged as effectively level. However, it seems as if the VAR officials are under instructions to always force a decision that one player or other is closer to the end line and judging players as level is not allowed.

The offside law itself makes provision for players being level so it's obvious that this should be possible but for some reason, when using VAR it is apparently deemed to be impossible.

Last edited:
Back