A&H

Fulham v Sheffield Utd

Paul_10

Possible penelty right near the end, goalie got the ball but only because the shot was hit right at him, contact was made from the goalies right foot onto the attackers leg. My initial thought it was a pen but VAR only had a quick look at it and stuck with the on field decision.

Edit: Just watched Souness analysis on it. Dearie me, the old no referee at the world cup line came out, get the ex pros nonsense line in and our referees are terrible. Maybe we need some better pundits whilst we are at it.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
It’s because it’s the follow through. But I agree it ought to have been a penalty.

We get split opinions on decisions involving the follow through so not hugely surprised that variation exists at elite level.

I just saw highlights.
Nowhere does it say that if you get the ball in law it's not a foul. The leg that takes the Sheffield United player out is reckless. I get he is the keeper, but why does coming out like he did any less dangerous than if a player did that on the half way line?

I just saw highlights.
Nowhere does it say that if you get the ball in law it's not a foul. The leg that takes the Sheffield United player out is reckless. I get he is the keeper, but why does coming out like he did any less dangerous than if a player did that on the half way line?
Because, like it or not, the keeper can do what he wants. (Not in Law but since when does that matter). As long as the ball is within vague playing distance, he’s protected. The bizarre disallowed goal Burnley had vs Leeds over Christmas is what happens when officials take that mindset into decisions that don’t need made.

Because, like it or not, the keeper can do what he wants. (Not in Law but since when does that matter). As long as the ball is within vague playing distance, he’s protected. The bizarre disallowed goal Burnley had vs Leeds over Christmas is what happens when officials take that mindset into decisions that don’t need made.
Or Pickford challenging VVD.

If the keeper was simply keeping his ground, I could excuse him for the challenge in the basis that he was legitimately making himself bigger and, therefore, caught the attacker high. That excuse goes away, though, when you consider that he was actually coming forward at the attacker. He should have had more concern for the consequences for his opponent in those circumstances.
Terrible challenge.

Back