A&H

Fulham red card

Anubis

RefChat Addict
disgusting recognition, or lack of, serious foul play, by referee, somehow content to play advantage, before being dug out a huge hole by the voice in the ear

If you are unable to identify that as serious foul play, one view, real time, then, you really should not be out there in the first place.

The Referee Store
Must be difficult when you are new to the PL and under instruction to keep 11 on the field “at all costs”.

The key lesson for the rest of us is, simply stop play and get that red card out

the tackle is one thing, attempting, and indeed signalling advantage is simply ridiculous

if you dont, then you only have yourself to blame for the brawl which follows

I'm guessing he played advantage because (rightly or wrongly) he initially viewed the challenge as reckless rather than SFP.
As it happens, it was a good example of how VAR should work. A clear & obvious error by the referee being corrected. That's what it's for and that's what happened.
No complaints from me ... 🙂👍

I'm guessing he played advantage because (rightly or wrongly) he initially viewed the challenge as reckless rather than SFP.
As it happens, it was a good example of how VAR should work. A clear & obvious error by the referee being corrected. That's what it's for and that's what happened.
No complaints from me ... 🙂👍

even the adantage is no advantage, next guy is closed down instantly

It can only be SFP, he has a great look at it and decides its reckless, then signals an ambitious advantage, doubters note, this is why we dont signal advantage until the advantage accrues.

try playing that on in your game, good luck with the mass brawl reds!

Last edited:
If does feel like these more inexperienced referees at PL level especially are not brave enough to produce direct red cards at times when it looks like it warrants it. England was literally looking right at it and yet he still did not think it was SFP.

But then if the instruction at the top is to have a high threshold on these types of challenges then you do have some sympathy. Mind you, you don't want to be like France where they seemingly have a much lower bar hence a high amount of red cards most rounds there so there has to be a balance somewhere.

I think it’s also hard when you get instructions to only send off for bad SFP, which I gather is kinda sorta the expectation. That is tough, as Rs have worked years to develop a recognition of SFP. Now, what is the thought process? “Oh, I just saw SFP. But wait! Is that SFP ikm supposed to punish, or SFP that I’m supposed to downgrade to Reckless?” That’s not an easy mental process, especially when recently having moved up to a more challenging level of play. (There’s a bit of similarity with OS and VAR, where ask the AR not only too decide if an offense occurred , but then to also to decide if it was clear or close to decide whether to raise the flag immediately or delay. That, too, is a tough transition that counters ingrained habits.)

Back