A&H

Fulham Brighton offside

The Referee Store
Need more than this...
What happened? Yes the player is offside. Where does the ball go? Who plays the ball? In PL land they have to delay the flag here until the attack breaks down and then signal.

A video would be more helpful.

Edit: what on earth is waving??? I don't do any sort of waving when on the line.

Just went and watched the video for this. It is exactly as the still shows: the Brighton player on the ball is just touching it through for a team mate who is yards offside. The move led to a goal kick...and no flag at all. An astonishing decision.

Just went and watched the video for this. It is exactly as the still shows: the Brighton player on the ball is just touching it through for a team mate who is yards offside. The move led to a goal kick...and no flag at all. An astonishing decision.
I believe Brighton got a corner actually!

Need more than this...
What happened? Yes the player is offside. Where does the ball go? Who plays the ball? In PL land they have to delay the flag here until the attack breaks down and then signal.

A video would be more helpful.

Edit: what on earth is waving??? I don't do any sort of waving when on the line.
It’s exactly as picture shows.. Ball goes straight through defence to Brighton player in offside position from the Brighton player poking it through..

The lino didn’t see it and the ref was directly in line so couldn’t see. It was poor from both though as it looked pretty obvious on telly.

Ref’s first prem game, right? Shame as second half he seemed to shrink and then could have handled added time smarter with a few earlier whistles.

I watched it real time and couldn't really believe it, the ball went straight from that touch directly to the player stood obviously offside. I can only assume he has had a bit of a brain freeze and somehow missed it.

I thought the new referee, Tom Bramhall, was excellent, including a brilliant advantage for Fulham's second goal. Even Robbie Savage was raving about how good he was. Don't really see that he could do a lot on the offside miss, it probably looked wrong to him but he has no kind of angle and there's absolutely no way he can give offside himself there.

I watched it real time and couldn't really believe it, the ball went straight from that touch directly to the player stood obviously offside. I can only assume he has had a bit of a brain freeze and somehow missed it.

I thought the new referee, Tom Bramhall, was excellent, including a brilliant advantage for Fulham's second goal. Even Robbie Savage was raving about how good he was. Don't really see that he could do a lot on the offside miss, it probably looked wrong to him but he has no kind of angle and there's absolutely no way he can give offside himself there.
Not blaming ref at all but I couldn’t believe Lino missed it. I was watching thinking I’d missed something or had a brain freeze.

Not blaming ref at all but I couldn’t believe Lino missed it. I was watching thinking I’d missed something or had a brain freeze.
Unfortunately our minds sometimes play tricks on us. Years ago I was sure I'd got an offside for a goal spot on, but the video posted online from a supporter who was almost immediately behind me showed I most definitely had not, it wasn't even close and I have massively messed up. No observer, and at that level they couldn't use video anyway, so I got away with it. Conversely, at step 2, where every game is filmed and the observers review all KMDs using the coverage, I walked away from numerous grounds pretty sure I'd goofed a major offside up, yet not once did I get an incorrect offside KMD at that level.

Con Hatzidakis isn't an inexperienced SG1 assistant, he's been around for about 8 years I think, and if he routinely made goofs like that he wouldn't still be at that level. He will be beating himself up about it, but also thankful it didn't lead to a goal.

The ball was crossed. As @Dan56 said the ball is "just touched" through. The change of flight of the ball by the last touch is relatively small but should have been obvious. At the time of the the cross the suspect player is only just onside. I suspect the AR missed the last touch. Lack of concentration or more like too narrow concentration on the PIOP. I am guessing this is the freeze frame the AR had in his head when he decided onside.

Screenshot_20220901-071312.jpg

Everyone has had those moments were you quickly flick your eyes to look at the last defender and then back again to think "****, who touched that pass"

Back