A&H

Ful Vs Champs elect

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Surely that is offside.
3 playerd in offdide positions,

Aguero puts his hands up... but he moved across the GK’s line of vision as the shot is struck.

It must be given offside.

I understand the idea that seems to have taken hold that the player must be exactly in line... I haven’t seen a freeze frame... but surely if you are moving right in front of the GK when the shot is taken it must be gaining an advantage.

If this is not offside, then surely managers will tell striker to constantly goal hang and run around in front of the GK!

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Having three in OSP is totally irrelevant. The sole Q is whether one of them became involved in active play within the meaning of Law 11.

“Gaining an advantage” has a precise meaning in Law 11, and this ain’t it.

Th question is whether the OSP player prevented the GK from being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the GK’s vision. Without a video, I can’t begin to opine on whether that very specific standard was met.

And no, it would not be a good strategy to waste a player in the general vicinity of the GK—it’s a risk of an actual call, doesn’t do much good, and there are far more valuable places for a player to be.

For me it should have been offside. Only good teamwork would have picked this up and you would expect that at this level. I cant remember any time "obstructing the GK’s vision" was given as offside without the use of VAR.

Screenshot_20190331-013928.jpg

Screenshot_20190331-013628.jpg

Did we get an appeal from keeper? We are generally told no appeal, no flag at our level.

I think that is a big issue in top level football. What if the keeper didn't know obstructing vision is an offence by PIOP? Would you still allow a clearly ofside goal. This won't happen when VAR comes in (I hope not anyway).

If it was an LBW I wouldn't give without an appeal :D but offside, I would.

I'd only just qualified when a L5 (now L4) discouraged me from awarding a penalty for which there was no claim
Not necessarily arguing with this philosophy, but is it any surprise players are screaming at officials for everything?

Having three in OSP is totally irrelevant. The sole Q is whether one of them became involved in active play within the meaning of Law 11.

“Gaining an advantage” has a precise meaning in Law 11, and this ain’t it.

Th question is whether the OSP player prevented the GK from being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the GK’s vision. Without a video, I can’t begin to opine on whether that very specific standard was met.

And no, it would not be a good strategy to waste a player in the general vicinity of the GK—it’s a risk of an actual call, doesn’t do much good, and there are far more valuable places for a player to be.

:)

For me it should have been offside. Only good teamwork would have picked this up and you would expect that at this level. I cant remember any time "obstructing the GK’s vision" was given as offside without the use of VAR.

View attachment 3334

View attachment 3333
I disagree. Even at this level that is an incredible tough call. Yes, the AR can advise that Aguero is in an offside position but as shown in your 2 images, Aguero and the keeper are on the move in different directions. There’s no way the referee (who has a man between him an Aguero) can categorically say the keepers line of sight was blocked unless he’s stood right behind the kick taker. This is something which VAR will have more impact on

As a City fan (and I do try to remain objective!), it looked like the keepers vision was hampered and he delayed the dive because of this. If the keeper runs up to the ref screaming that his vision was blocked as soon as the ball hits the back of the net, I think the ref would speak to the AR and give offside. After all, it's impossible for the AR to know as he is side on from Aguero and once they start talking, and with an instant and very loud and visual appeal, doubts would creep in and I believe that in most instances the ref gives offside. We can debate all night as to whether this is right or wrong but it's the realities.

As for the rest of the game, Friend always appears to have an air if uncertainty about his decision making. His body language is always a bit pensive. Players play on that. He's clearly a top quality ref (he's in the PL!!!) but Dean and Oliver always seem to be more confident.

Did we get an appeal from keeper? We are generally told no appeal, no flag at our level.
Happens at a lot of levels, because refereeing is so far broken that it's about appeasing people rather than applying the LOTG.

I know that's WHAT happens, but it's part of the problem with this game. As @one says, what if the keeper doesn't know an offence is committed?

The concept that a goal is awarded purely because the defenders didn't recognise the offside position or didn't recognise that being in that position was an offence is completely absurd. I say this a lot, but every other sport expects the referee to be the one to know when to apply the laws, not the players.

May as well go back to schoolyard footy with no ref.

It's an outcome of all the 'referee's shouldn't be seen/remembered' and 'it's all about the spectators' nonsense.

And it also encourages referee dissent and abuse. We all say that we want teams to just let the referee referee the game, but we also say we don't referee the game unless they're yelling at us. Essentially that puts the more respectful teams at a disadvantage!

Now, if that's not telling us this profession is broken, I don't know what is.

Also, players shout 'you only gave it because they called for it!' - it's a pity they're correct!!

Which makes sense, because the keeper is the one that will know if he has been impeded.
How often are offside decisions here a consideration? Keeper probably isn't going to be thinking about a relatively obscure part of the law that may have never been relevant to him before.

As a City fan (and I do try to remain objective!), it looked like the keepers vision was hampered and he delayed the dive because of this. If the keeper runs up to the ref screaming that his vision was blocked as soon as the ball hits the back of the net, I think the ref would speak to the AR and give offside. After all, it's impossible for the AR to know as he is side on from Aguero and once they start talking, and with an instant and very loud and visual appeal, doubts would creep in and I believe that in most instances the ref gives offside. We can debate all night as to whether this is right or wrong but it's the realities.

As for the rest of the game, Friend always appears to have an air if uncertainty about his decision making. His body language is always a bit pensive. Players play on that. He's clearly a top quality ref (he's in the PL!!!) but Dean and Oliver always seem to be more confident.

What should happen is that at parks level, the AR should stay on the goal line and indicate he wants to talk to the ref. AR can see the offside position and potential interference, ref has the better view of the shot. After a discussion the offside shouldn't be given.

Even if the GK’s vision was blocked, he’s focused on the shot and likely has no way of knowing the player was in OSP. Looking through traffic goes through the with the territory. And note that the language is “clearly obstructed.”

We are clearly expected to err on the side of a no-call.

Back