A&H

From behind

Colt

Level 7 Referee
Evening,

Just got back from watching a school game and one of the players came from behind and got the ball.

The teacher who was the ref blew for a foul, some parents weren't happy, others were pleased with the decision...

Thought? Are you allowed to go from behind at all?

The Referee Store
Think safe refereeing. The chances of making a challenge from behind and ONLY getting the ball are remote. Therefore contact has to be made with the player in possession of the ball so it's a foul.

Just an observation, Darren, the conclusion arrived at in your third sentence doesn't necessarily follow from the observation you make in your second. your first sentence, however, seems fine :)

It's a grammar thing. What I mean is that in a tackle from behind contact with the player is unavoidable, regardless of whether or not the ball is touched.
In my day, lovely phrase, as long as a bit of contact with the ball was made it was deemed a good challenge. That's progress!!

It's a grammar thing. What I mean is that in a tackle from behind contact with the player is unavoidable, regardless of whether or not the ball is touched.
In my day, lovely phrase, as long as a bit of contact with the ball was made it was deemed a good challenge. That's progress!!

Is that not still the case? I don't recall a law change that states any contact with the player equals foul challenge?

If you contact the player before the ball, or if the challenge is reckless or dangerous, but if the ball is won and the natural momentum causes contact then I don't see a huge problem with that.

Too many lightweight players wanting to be wrapped cotton wool, and too many weak referees accommodating them!

Football is a contact sport.....players need to toughen up.

Good example Oliver. The challenge from behind if it's a hook can be very effective and fair.

The sneaky and subtle kicking the back of an opponents boot (the one being used to trap an incoming ball) is the one I used to hate as a player - controlling the ball is made very difficult, the challenge is pretty much invisible and doesn't cause any damage. Used to hate defenders who would do that.

Yes but foul contact is not necessarily inevitable. I understand what you're saying about playing the odds, but it is, at least theoretically and for very talented players who know precisely what they're doing, possible for them to make a challenge from behind without committing a foul.

Has the defender's foot gone between the attacker's legs or to one side. The I cannot imagine a situation where the former occurs and it would not be a foul, but the latter should never be a foul merely because of the angle.

Back