A&H

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Out of interest, I was just wondering what Level the referees tend to be for professional pre-season friendlies between two English clubs

The Referee Store
There's a very strict process in place for "friendly" appointments. Generally speaking the referee needs to be officiating at least the level of the lowest ranked team. So two PL teams playing each other would need an SG1 referee, Championship vs PL could be done by SG2, National League vs Football League could be L2A, and so on. Similar principle applies to the assistants.

Thank you! I was wondering if it was similar to the youth international competitions where the commentator said those refs are usually ones who are trying to get promoted to the highest FIFA Level.

Usually done on geography too. For example Notts County v Derby County the other week we had David Coote (SG1) in the middle who's from Nottingham then I believe one of the assistants was from Leicester with the 4th Official a Level 2A (I think) from Derbyshire

Usually done on geography too. For example Notts County v Derby County the other week we had David Coote (SG1) in the middle who's from Nottingham then I believe one of the assistants was from Leicester with the 4th Official a Level 2A (I think) from Derbyshire

Yep, think that is because it is an all inclusive fee so officials won't be best impressed if they have to travel half the distance of the country … :)

Makes sense. I was wondering because I didn’t recognise the officials for Leeds vs Forest Green, so I thought they might just be refs aiming for promotion.

Makes sense. I was wondering because I didn’t recognise the officials for Leeds vs Forest Green, so I thought they might just be refs aiming for promotion.

Referee was Ross Joyce, who is level 1. He isn't SG2, so would normally referee in leagues 1 or 2, so that adheres to the principal that referees can officiate one step above their normal level for friendlies.

Referee was Ross Joyce, who is level 1. He isn't SG2, so would normally referee in leagues 1 or 2, so that adheres to the principal that referees can officiate one step above their normal level for friendlies.
Thank you!

Reminds me a bit of that Ameerican who lost the plot in the WC, rabbit in headlights expression!!

I always try and explain decisions to my fellow Blades around me.... with Coote, I gave up!!! baffling, both ways!!

Back