A&H

freezing weather! keep warm!?

Gary Milton

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

Over the last few matches I have really froze in the middle... I have my first line tonight and whilst I can't wait... its gonna be freezing!

Does anyone (dare I say it) wear gloves, and also is it acceptable to wear a long sleeved base layer under a short sleeved kit?

Gary

The Referee Store
We've had this before and while a few on here frown on such fripperies as gloves, most level 4s I have been out with on Ryman U18 or U21s are happy for ARs to wear whatever makes you comfortable , within reason.

They and you want your focus to be on your decision making, not on how long is it before you get back to the nice warm changing room!;)

Checking ball position on EVERY goal kick and then sprinting to get back in line with defenders is a good way to keep warm btw!

I wear gloves if it is freezing. Especially on the line where your movement is dictated by the game more than when you are in the middle. Also wear long sleeve under armour under short sleeve nike kit ONLY if it really is freezing mind.

There I said it. :D

Only happened once this season, on a line. Manned up on every other cold game!

Checking ball position on EVERY goal kick and then sprinting to get back in line with defenders is a good way to keep warm btw!

I hope that you're stopping on the edge of the penalty area each time to check that the attackers are outside the the area and that the ball has left the area first, Paul :)

P.s. I never understood why, if the second last defender is taking the kick, the advice is to move directly to the edge of the area, seemingly implying that you don't need to check that the ball is in the goal area in such situations for some reason.

gary if you are concentrating on being cold you cant be concentrating on the game.
wear what you like as long as it matches your kit, how can you deal with players for underarmour if you are wearing a black shirt and red underarmour, and gloves only with long sleeves,players can look totally stupid if they want, but not referees

thanks for all the advice....sadly match to night was postponed, so I have more time to consider the latest in referee fashion! Haha
I am not sure I can bring myself to wear gloves, but it does become a difficult task writing anything down towards ends of games... as for red under black.... I assume it is pretty much standard the first question any ref asks is "do you have that in black please?"

Thanks again, great to get others perspectives!

I have a pair of fingerless black gloves. I only wear them when i know its going to be below freezing and my fingers would be too numb to write anything...I'm folically challenged in the scalp area but would never wear a hat of any kind,now that wouldn't look right..

I have a pair of fingerless black gloves. I only wear them when i know its going to be below freezing and my fingers would be too numb to write anything...I'm folically challenged in the scalp area but would never wear a hat of any kind,now that wouldn't look right..
can you tell me how fingerless gloves help your bare fingers are still out in the cold, serious question by the way

Well apparently the back of your hand and the palm keeps warm and helps fingers to get heat,its not 100% toastie warm still feel little cold because the heat is escaping from the tips of your fingers,but I can hold my whistle,use my watch and write in my book without numb stinging fingers got my thermalite fingerless gloves £1.99 from B&M ....and it does exactly what it says on the tin........

Oh! If you got a runny nose they double up as a hanky:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Both teams are running about like satnavless ants and are keeping toastie warm-ish.We the referee are keeping up with play, being in the "drop zone",we have satnavs and we know where we are going, so we are not keeping so warm and we are entitled to the frivolities of gloves(when really cold i hope)or a nice black hat(not me never).If you want to be absolutley freezing,numb knees ,cold legs,numb hands, tingling fingers,chattering teeth be my guest and carry on.Me just a little bit of extravagance in my senior years :cool:

Well apparently the back of your hand and the palm keeps warm and helps fingers to get heat,its not 100% toastie warm still feel little cold because the heat is escaping from the tips of your fingers,but I can hold my whistle,use my watch and write in my book without numb stinging fingers got my thermalite fingerless gloves £1.99 from B&M ....and it does exactly what it says on the tin........

Oh! If you got a runny nose they double up as a hanky:)
cheers it always interested me how they worked

My "fingerless" glove comes to the joint just under the finger nail. So three quarters of my fingers are covered though.

I haven't been brave enough for gloves yet but when I couldn't feel my fingers to write someone's name a couple of weeks ago I did ponder. I have been doubling up my base layer, so a sleeveless black nike baselayer underneath a long sleeved black nike baselayer, that makes a big difference. Also, an extra pair of black ankle socks underneath can help.

Very interesting everyone!
On my note I have finally ventured into the glove domain... I brought them with me yesterday (They are a thin nike "footballing glove")...
my new stance is, I will not start a game with them on, but if at any point I struggle to write a goal or name down, i will venture towards the bag and go to the dark side,

As for base layers, I rushed around and hurried into a purchase of a short sleeved campari (I think thats the make) base layer, not expecting much... having added an extra t-shirt, halfway through the first half I had to take off the extra layer... the base layer aone was very warm... I am very impressed! and at only 6 quid come highly recommended!! - going to get the long sleeve version now too!.

Back