A&H

Free Kick query

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Incident yesterday I had, just after some advice. green vs red

Green Free kick just outside 18 yd box, I stand over ball and tell kicker on the whistle, kicker positions ball and as I am about to shout to keeper " on the whistle" green centre half ( not kicker) smashes it / slices it to red winger who starts a run up the wing.

Im blowing for a retake to the shouts of " hes on for goal, why do they get a second go"

The Referee Store
Jesus that’s gotta be sum bad free kick to set up an attack for the opposition when your shooting 18rds from there goal.

Also had the greens scored the re take it would set you up for one very unenjoyable game I’m sure.

Also had the greens scored the re take it would set you up for one very unenjoyable game I’m sure.
While it may be so, it is not your fault as you have clearly indicated to both teams and anyone watching the game that this free kick will not take place until you whistle. That's way the recommended practice is while you are using your voice to pass on that message, you are using the an image as cue through raising and pointing to your whistle. The onus is on the players to follow your directions in such situations and once they don't they shouldn't be surprised when you take action.

While it may be so, it is not your fault as you have clearly indicated to both teams and anyone watching the game that this free kick will not take place until you whistle. That's way the recommended practice is while you are using your voice to pass on that message, you are using the an image as cue through raising and pointing to your whistle. The onus is on the players to follow your directions in such situations and once they don't they shouldn't be surprised when you take action.

Just to add to this as well, the OP pointed out that the free kick was taken before the instruction was given to the keeper. I personally make a habit of standing over the ball to point out where the free kick is taken, telling the kick taker (on the whistle) and then shouting to the keeper and visually showing the whistle before I start counting out the wall. This makes sure nothing can actually progress until your instruction has been given

Good decision. Match control would have been damaged if you had let that one happen.

Hmm i'm on board with everything except tellinga second time to the keeper. This is unnecessary and you should not advantage the defense IMHO. Of course you tell if asked. But a clear first signal (holding the whistle up and pointing to it) shouting "on the whistle" at the taker... And the cerremonial pacing of 10 yards...

Should be no need to also tell the GK... IMHO

I would have probably suicidally played advantage and booked the freekick taker for not listening to me just to rub it in a bit. I think they'd listen from then on, especially if the opposition netted from it. :p

But I think your way was correct to be quite frank.

Back