A&H

Open Age Free kick incident that almost happened

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
I was running the line on a league cup semi final yesterday and there was an "almost" incident, and I'm wondering what others think about it.

First half there is an attacking free kick just outside the area.

Defenders set up a wall etc and then one of the attackers moves to the the left hand goal post and starts talking to the keeper, when his team mate takes the free kick, luckily he blasts it well over the cross bar.

Now, if it had gone to the player on the post he would have been well offside, but, if they'd scored would there have been grounds for disallowing the goal, awarding an IDFK and cautioning the attacker on the post for "verbally distracting an opponent"?

Personally I think there would, as to me it seems like the very thing the law was designed for, but I'd be interested in others take on it.

The Referee Store
I'd simply be inclined to give offside. Deliberate action that impacts on an opponents ability to play the ball

If the defenders are setting up a wall, I'd have the attacking team "on the whistle" - and checking that the GK is prepared is something I look for when blowing the whistle to allow the FK to be taken. A quick "Ready 'Keeper?" would invalidate any arguments if it did go in, although I think ASM's right in saying there's definitely a case for offside (assuming no defender on the posts).

If the defenders are setting up a wall, I'd have the attacking team "on the whistle" - and checking that the GK is prepared is something I look for when blowing the whistle to allow the FK to be taken. A quick "Ready 'Keeper?" would invalidate any arguments if it did go in, although I think ASM's right in saying there's definitely a case for offside (assuming no defender on the posts).
Personally, I'm not necessarily inclined to wait until the keeper decides he's good and ready before blowing the whistle on a ceremonial free kick. The purpose of the 'ceremony' is simply to ensure that the defenders are properly back 10 yards, so that the attacking team are not disadvantaged in any way. The defending team don't get any say in what happens as they caused the 'problem' in the first place. Obviously I won't be ridiculous about it, but if the GK still isn't ready by the time I've paced out the distance, walked leisurely back to a good viewing position and then blown the whistle, more fool him :). With regard to the OP, I'm with ASM, just call it offside.

Personally, I'm not necessarily inclined to wait until the keeper decides he's good and ready before blowing the whistle on a ceremonial free kick. The purpose of the 'ceremony' is simply to ensure that the defenders are properly back 10 yards, so that the attacking team are not disadvantaged in any way. The defending team don't get any say in what happens as they caused the 'problem' in the first place. Obviously I won't be ridiculous about it, but if the GK still isn't ready by the time I've paced out the distance, walked leisurely back to a good viewing position and then blown the whistle, more fool him :). With regard to the OP, I'm with ASM, just call it offside.
Fair point - I'm certainly not going to wait for a GK if he's just taking ages to get himself sorted. However I do as a rule glance towards the keeper before letting a FK go ahead from shooting range, and if he's literally facing the wrong direction as a direct result of an opposing player, I like to think I'd be proactive and check he's at least aware the whistle's about to go. Just seems like if you've spotted this deliberate distraction happening, you're asking for trouble by ignoring it and letting him be surprised.

Whilst I never asked a keeper if he was ready for a FK, I did tend to say, after moving the wall back 9.15 metres and already indicating it would be on the whistle, "direct & on the whistle keeper". I don't know why, I can't really explain or reason for it, but it was something I did. Never got picked up on it on any assessment, either positively or negatively, so I never stopped

I am with Dan on this one. Get the wall back, and tell the keeper it is on the whistle. They should know if it is direct or indirect, but I generally tell them just in case they are unsure. If they score award an indirect free kick to the defending team, and make it clear why you have disallowed the "goal.

Surely the fact that your arm is either vertically up in the air or not will tell all the players whether its direct or indirect?

Back