A&H

Free Kick, goal keeper not ready?

Because I dont want to deal with the fall out of a goal being scored when the keeper is on the other side of the goal sorting out his wall.
Do you also call an offside if the attacker is within, say, 5 yards of being offside? I'm sure that would also prevent a lot of fall out from goals being scored too.

The Referee Store
... this is all about control and reducing the RISK of a negative reaction towards the referee

For me - if a player wants to go quick - let them - they know the risk if they muck it up ... once we are in ceremonial mode, yep, I'm looking at the GK, HOPING he/she is getting themselves ready, maybe taking a few extra seconds lining up the wall (giving them the preventive chat about hand / arm movement, etc.) - all the time hoping the GK is in a position that I think indicates readiness (i.e. not leaning on a post flapping a hand from side to side!) ... then blow the loudest whistle I can ... I'm not going to check if the individual player (GK) is ready as I'm not going to check every other player is ready

(yes - I will wave to the GK at the start of each half - so happy to be called out on this one)

Slightly different - but - I know a ref who will shout "face forward" on every re-start - including throw-ins - may just be a habit - but it definitely helps reduce the possibility of someone saying they weren't ready

The surefire way of reducing the risk of a negative reaction is don't turn up. If you don't have the courage to cop a bit of flak for making the right decision, then give your uniform to somebody who does.

The purpose of a free kick, as per the LOTG, is to restore the advantage lost by a foul. If you force the attacking team to wait for the defence to fully organise themselves then you're going out of your way to create a huge advantage for the defending team while ignoring the purpose of the free kick. You don't get to pull it back if it's a shot but allow it if it's a pass.

A relevant comment on a ceremonial free kick by a Level 1 assessor my son's game two weeks ago.
"35 - K dfk – K appear to want a quick kick but denied while R sets wall???? Did you ask the K players or just assume they wanted a wall because of the location on the field? – A referee has no authority to interfere with the taking of a free kick unless the non-offending team request the 10yds!! Make sure you ask or read the body language!!

FFSA has mixed games up to U12 (I note OP Liam is FFA registered). A 25m FK into the top corner would be pretty good for a 12yo girl, tho I have seen a few with a decent boot on them.
I was doing a Mens reserves game where women can get clearance to play in the mens league that is why she was playing.

... this is all about control and reducing the RISK of a negative reaction towards the referee

For me - if a player wants to go quick - let them - they know the risk if they muck it up ... once we are in ceremonial mode, yep, I'm looking at the GK, HOPING he/she is getting themselves ready, maybe taking a few extra seconds lining up the wall (giving them the preventive chat about hand / arm movement, etc.) - all the time hoping the GK is in a position that I think indicates readiness (i.e. not leaning on a post flapping a hand from side to side!) ... then blow the loudest whistle I can ... I'm not going to check if the individual player (GK) is ready as I'm not going to check every other player is ready

(yes - I will wave to the GK at the start of each half - so happy to be called out on this one)

Slightly different - but - I know a ref who will shout "face forward" on every re-start - including throw-ins - may just be a habit - but it definitely helps reduce the possibility of someone saying they weren't ready

I too ask both GK if they're ready at the start of each half( match etiquette if you will) then all other players know i'm about to start the half... no excuses then is there ;)

Why was there a chicken on the pitch??
Why did the chicken cross the pitch? To take the free kick after the fowl(copyrighted that joke)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back