A&H

Free Kick, goal keeper not ready?

Liam Miller

So yesterday I gave a free kick about 25 meters out. I made sure the player put the ball where the fowl was, moved the wall back and checked that my AR was ready, blew the whistle and then the goal keeper starts yelling .. "Ref im not ready!, REF!" then the girl taking the free kick looked at me and I said "Take it when you want". the ball was then kicked perfectly top left corner and I gave a goal. The goal keeper hade ran into the post trying to stop the goal and hurt him self. So I went over and checked on him and then he complained saying that I (the referee) have to wait till he (the goal keeper) is ready. did I do the right thing?

The Referee Store
As soon as you blow your whistle the attacker is good to go, so from that point, yes.
In a ceremonial free kick it is customary give the keeper reasonable time to organise himself and the wall. I am guessing that sorting out the placement, wall and checking on the AR would be enough time, but only you'd know that. You don't need his permission to restart.

As soon as you blow your whistle the attacker is good to go, so from that point, yes.
In a ceremonial free kick it is customary give the keeper reasonable time to organise himself and the wall. I am guessing that sorting out the placement, wall and checking on the AR would be enough time, but only you'd know that. You don't need his permission to restart.
Okay Thank you :)

This is why i blow the whistle for the kick to be taken, then everybody knows (especially the keeper)
If the keeper shouted at me "i'm not ready" i would have had a look and if he was adjusting his gloves/doing his laces i would have held up play ,apart from that you done the right thing.............

1) At ceremonial free kicks, stand on top of the ball, and get the taker to position it in an area where you say.
2) Once they have put the ball down, ask if everything is okay - they'll say yes, and you'll say, "Good, so you won't move it then" (you can have a little smile at this point).
3) Tell the kicker on the whistle, whilst pointing at your whistle, also inform the goal keeper on the whistle, whilst pointing at the whistle.
4) Move the wall back 10 yards, whilst occasionally looking over your shoulder at the ball, to make the taker think you are watching him
5) If the wall is say 8 yards back, get to the 8 yards, and say 2 more. Pace out 10 more, saying '9, 10'. They'll say, that's a big 10 yards, you'll say 'long legs'
6) If the wall are in the penalty area, do a little sweep, just letting them know not to do anything silly to give away a penalty. Furthermore, if it is borderline outside the area, or inside. Put them either DEFINITELY outside, or take the larger last step, putting them DEFINITELY inside the area.
7) Get in position
8) The goalkeeper should now be finishing off his wall, give him those couple of seconds. If he is taking the mick, you will blow the whilste when you see fit.

I read that the keeper was a male and kick taker was a female? Am I missing something?

If its ceremonial follow drahc's approach, it should take less time to complete than it is to read.

As for the way you did it, I wouldn't recommend it. You could make the easiest game in the world turn into WW3 and lose match control just for the sake of a few seconds. It's all part of learning, gaining that experience. Unless coached the right way we only learn through our experience after its happened on the FOP.

Bit of common sense here, look at the goal keeper, normally if he is adjusting the wall he will be stood on a post.
Wait for him to take his position unless he is taking the mickey, then blow. Then you won't have any problems :)

I don't think you need to wait for the keeper to finish adjusting the wall - he'll get into position once the whistle is blown. If there's any other issue it might be worth waiting though, whether that's tying the shoelace (actually, you'll have to hold up play if the keeper needs to tie their shoelace, as per Law 4) or a potential injury, even a minor one.

But as the ref you should be glancing across all the players to see if there's any problem before allowing the kick. Check the wall, check the keeper and the other players. If there's a problem you want to know about it before the kick, not once the ball is in play.

So yesterday I gave a free kick about 25 meters out. I made sure the player put the ball where the fowl was, moved the wall back and checked that my AR was ready, blew the whistle and then the goal keeper starts yelling .. "Ref im not ready!, REF!" then the girl taking the free kick looked at me and I said "Take it when you want". the ball was then kicked perfectly top left corner and I gave a goal. The goal keeper hade ran into the post trying to stop the goal and hurt him self. So I went over and checked on him and then he complained saying that I (the referee) have to wait till he (the goal keeper) is ready. did I do the right thing?
Why do you think he wasn't ready? You would only wait for something reasonable and you would have to judge what is reasonable. For example if he was previously winded and it took him a few seconds to catch his breath is reasonable. If his wall is taking too long to respond to him for positioning is not reasonable.

A similar situation can happen taking a penalty kick.

I read that the keeper was a male and kick taker was a female? Am I missing something?
FFSA has mixed games up to U12 (I note OP Liam is FFA registered). A 25m FK into the top corner would be pretty good for a 12yo girl, tho I have seen a few with a decent boot on them.

For me any freekick within shooting range the first thing I'll say the attacking player near by is wait for my whistle please. THen once the ball is where I want the kick to be taken I'll pace out the wall. Once that is where I want it I'll jog into whatever position I decide to take up. At this point I'll do a quick glance of keeper, wall, taker and behind my shoulder (depending on position). Then I'm blowing. If a keeper isnt ready in that time then tough luck. In my heart of hearts I shouldnt even make the attacking team wait for the whistle and let them take when they want, but I just want to avoid a storm a goal scored like that could create. That said if the attacking team chose to pass it quickly before my whistle and I havent indicated its on the whistle then I'd let that go. I certainly wouldnt be allowing a shot though!

You had to be careful with attacking free kicks not to disadvantage the attacking team by slowing the game down and allowing the defenders time to get back when they were out of the game and with the attackers wanting to just get on with it. I especially hate the practice of defending players asking for the kick to be taken on the whistle, not theirs to request. Seen too many referees go along with it, makes me mad!! That said if a team wants to take a quick one, it has to be done quickly else ceremonial it is.

a fine line though between good game management and disadvantaging the attacking team. :)

If you havent indicated ceremonial with the whistle in the air, that is the keepers own fault if he has a lapse in concentration and stops watching the game. :)

Back