A&H

Français v Uruguay

And as usual, I was taught for near 20 years when you have a mass confrontation, you take 2 cards for the ones who started it and minimum 2 others.......and as per.....just 1 card each for the two who started it,,,

The Referee Store
That whole confrontation interlude would be an embarrassment to any other sport. I'd like to see Gary Neville control 22 fellow cheating egotists

That whole confrontation interlude would be an embarrassment to any other sport. I'd like to see Gary Neville control 22 fellow cheating egotists

The referee is in place to maintain control, to be proactive to prevent brawls like that, and also to take the required disciplinary action where required
If between those match officials they deem one yc per team as being suitable punishment for those actions then am with Neville, the ref was not in control and negated his duty to take action using the tools provided
Not even a talking to for Pogba and whoever he got involved with?
Suarez running 60 yards to get involved?
All deemed as perfectly ok.

I like this ref but that was embarrassing to see so little action taken

The referee is in place to maintain control, to be proactive to prevent brawls like that, and also to take the required disciplinary action where required
If between those match officials they deem one yc per team as being suitable punishment for those actions then am with Neville, the ref was not in control and negated his duty to take action using the tools provided
Not even a talking to for Pogba and whoever he got involved with?
Suarez running 60 yards to get involved?
All deemed as perfectly ok.

I like this ref but that was embarrassing to see so little action taken
I wouldn't argue with this. After seeing a full grown man (player) crying with 5 minutes left, I'm not sure i'd have the zest to do so anyway...

Nicely done.

Dunno wtf Mbappe was rolling around for, looked like he hit a stiff breeze.

Nicely done.

Dunno wtf Mbappe was rolling around for, looked like he hit a stiff breeze.
Embarrassing that, that was the lightest of all the dark arts inflicted and ended up much ado about nothing! like Miley said a swift card could have stopped 90% of that ensuing!

Embarrassing that, that was the lightest of all the dark arts inflicted and ended up much ado about nothing! like Miley said a swift card could have stopped 90% of that ensuing!

Its about awareness.. One team 2-0 and coasting to semi. Other team, already known as being a bit mardy, are not going to stand back and let the urine be extracted from them. Soon as Mbappe went down, do not let your eagerness to play on take over, think, wait, this looks a bit of a flash point, first things first, stop the game, second, get in there, sharp, defuse everything before it even kicks off......totally embarrassing to see that develop into WWF and Guccis's finest and ultimately the ref decides, hey, one yellow card per team will show I have dealt with this.
No, you dealt with nothing, (you gave 1 yellow to the 2 guys who started the melee but ZERO to anybody who was involved in it, rendering the brawl participants as acceptable), you left things festering and Neville was right, you had the players in control of that whole episode.

I would hammer a public park ref for only taking 2 yellows there, and look at the major difficulties a park ref has compared to the worlds finest, with tech, helpers, stewards, prof players etc.....

not good enough, sorry.

Last edited:
Overall he did well, but not for the first time this tournament I've seen a referee handle a confrontation in a way that I'd be criticising a level 7 promotion candidate for. It really is embarrassing and the referees need to take a grip of these situations.

Pretty easy game to referee overall, an early yellow for Suarez and a few others could have set the tone. He let things fester and paid the price. Geez, I only was a L7 but that was easy to sort out. I had 3-4 teams of that ilk and they learned the hard way to behave or get contributing!

Overall he did well, but not for the first time this tournament I've seen a referee handle a confrontation in a way that I'd be criticising a level 7 promotion candidate for. It really is embarrassing and the referees need to take a grip of these situations.
Who knows how much interference they've had from FIFA? They can't all be coincidentally poor in the same respect

Back