george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #23
France vs Denmark
Saturday, 26th Novemeber
19:00 Local time (16:00GMT)
Doha

Referee: Szymon Marciniak (POL)

Assistant Referee 1: Paweł Sokolnicki (POL)
Assistant Referee 2: Tomasz Listkiewicz (POL)
Fourth Official: Ma Ning (CHN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Cao Yi (CHN)
Video Assistant Referee: Tomasz Kwiatkowski (POL)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Juan Martínez Munuera (ESP)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Taleb Al-Marri (QAT)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Alejandro Hernández Hernández (ESP)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Mohammed Al-Hammadi (UAE)

The Referee Store
I'll disagree. There were defenders adjacent to the one that brought the Frenchman down. The Ref made that clear to the French as well.
Exactly. Adjacent. They weren't getting anywhere. Near and the route to goal was clear.20221126_162921.jpg

There's no way either of the defenders were getting there without the foul. But I'm saying that knowing how rapid Mbappe is and the referee can't really take that into account, so I can understand a caution.

Enough doubt about distance and number of defenders here for me to be okay with yellow
Relying on distance here is nonsense. At this level going straight, distance does not get the defender off the hook. I basically buy the defenders As resulting in yellow. (Clattenberg agreed with yellow on the US broadcast FWIW.) But at the same time, I am a bit troubled. This was unquestionably a prof foul cynically committed by a defender realizing the team was at risk of coughing up a goal to one of the best and fastest players in the cup. The defender thought it was an OGSO, which is why he committed the foul. But I do think the yellow is the expected call here.

Back