A&H

Foul Throws ?????

The Referee Store
Hi and welcome to the forum! U12, presume it's still 9v9 on 3/4 pitches, 7ft goals and 13 yard box? When I used to ref 9v9, I would tell managers they get the first foul throw as a free retake then after that they go the other way, most were happy and appreciative of this stance as 9v9 is the transition from mini-soccer to 11v11 at u13.

As long as its something like I wasn't too fussy at this level, yes, you could argue that its against the LOTG but they are still learning and a bit of education with it goes a long way too. A little word in his ear, a little 'well done' when he does it better is you in education mode!! To be stone faced and everything not perfect is punished is a bit harsh IMO...

Last edited:
As long as its something like I wasn't too fussy at this level, yes, you could argue that its against the LOTG but they are still learning and a bit of education with it goes a long way too. A little word in his ear, a little 'well done' when he does it better is you in education mode!! To be stone face and everything not perfect is punished is a bit harsh IMO...
Mostly it had to be very blatantly wrong or I didn't see it. Selective vision to go with the selective hearing......tune everything out but offinabus!
That's at both this level and every level above too.............don't sweat the small stuff!!!!!!

Hi i im starting to referee an under 12s when do they start foul throws and whats the discipline for one.
As others have said, don't get too worried. Treat some errors as play on - one foot up, buy stop the hideous mistakes - either by retake initially then possibly awarding to the other team. Education is better than enforcement.

But be equitable in treatment.

Enjoyment is crucial.

I agree with not just immediately punishing every single minor infringement of the throw-in law at this age and giving each player one 'do over' to start with but I also think for these younger players it's as much about learning as playing. So if I saw a player who was having a problem with their technique on their first attempt I would give them a quick reminder, "Both feet on the ground, both hands behind the head" - those being the areas they usually have most problems with (especially keeping both feet on the ground). If they were stepping over the line (less common, in my experience) I would remind them of that, too.

If they don't know what they're doing wrong, they're not going to be able to correct it.

I normally say to the coaches if theres a foul throw I will tell the player what he did wrong and order a retake after coaching why it was wrong. If it is wrong a second time i then award to the op. But I always check with both coaches because one team may have been doing throw ins in training and want no second bite at the cherry. This has only happened once but it worth asking the question so you dont look an idiot!

There is an abundance of foul throws in the Prem that go unpunished, at that level they really should know better! There was one yesterday in the Newcastle game taken from the wrong place, ref ordered a re-take and Rafa rightly wasnt happy. The 4th official backed up the decision too!! Baffling!!

I was reffing on Saturday and there was that many foul throws that the game never got going

In the end I had to let them go otherwise we wouldn’t have played a game of football

There is an abundance of foul throws in the Prem that go unpunished, at that level they really should know better! There was one yesterday in the Newcastle game taken from the wrong place, ref ordered a re-take and Rafa rightly wasnt happy. The 4th official backed up the decision too!! Baffling!!
If it's the one I'm thinking of (not 100% sure but it sounds like it might be) there was one this weekend where the referee blew just a split second before the throw was taken from the wrong place and then made them go back to the correct location.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (not 100% sure but it sounds like it might be) there was one this weekend where the referee blew just a split second before the throw was taken from the wrong place and then made them go back to the correct location.
Could be, i was watching with a foreign commentary but Benitez wasn't happy, It did look like the way i described but i may have missed any other whistle!!.

Mostly it had to be very blatantly wrong or I didn't see it. Selective vision to go with the selective hearing......tune everything out but offinabus!
That's at both this level and every level above too.............don't sweat the small stuff!!!!!!
I am very much of the opinion with this sort of age group that unless a player is getting a big advantage or doing something incredibly wrong then you just get on with it. I use the "reminder" technique alot to improve things as the match goes on.

However, the danger is that once you give one, the oppsition coach and/or parents want the law strenuously enforced.

This week I was watching an U13 match and the ref finally turned one round for a player who was launching long throws but always had a big foot up despite a couple of warnings from the ref.

The thrower on the other team taking the reversed throw did a short throw with slightly questionable technique - one that I would usually describe as ugly but legal. The coach from the first team was furious shouting about how the ref didn't know the rules and was just making it up as he went along. He continued to complain about this to the parents around him for the rest of the half!

Unbelieveable what people get themselves worked up about.

I am very much of the opinion with this sort of age group that unless a player is getting a big advantage or doing something incredibly wrong then you just get on with it. I use the "reminder" technique alot to improve things as the match goes on.

However, the danger is that once you give one, the oppsition coach and/or parents want the law strenuously enforced.

This week I was watching an U13 match and the ref finally turned one round for a player who was launching long throws but always had a big foot up despite a couple of warnings from the ref.

The thrower on the other team taking the reversed throw did a short throw with slightly questionable technique - one that I would usually describe as ugly but legal. The coach from the first team was furious shouting about how the ref didn't know the rules and was just making it up as he went along. He continued to complain about this to the parents around him for the rest of the half!

Unbelieveable what people get themselves worked up about.
Exactly, don't sweat the small stuff, it's only a mechanism to put the ball back in play.........

Back