A&H

Forest v NUFC

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Jonjo Shelvey - harsh is a mild way to put it...... Yellow each at very worst!!! Discuss

2nd pen.... Red???? Penalty?????

The Referee Store
Turned on hoping to see it but was stuck with Macclesfield Oxford (0-0 but good ref showing)
Would like to see the incidents...

So can I, first was probably a foul on JJS, yes he reacted but the player did a job on him in play acting a reaction out of the Lino. Harsh IMO..

Penalty, the striker actually initiated the contact! Hard to spot at match speed I know but again harsh.. could have gone yellow and pen or even nothing at all.....

Both decisions spot on, I am assuming the AR spotted the kick out so bye bye, whatever went in before doesn't justify the retaliation. The Forest player should have been punished too, but if the ref or line didn't see that part I can understand

The second one had to be a red. It could only be a yellow if a genuine attempt was made to play the ball. You can't tackle from behind so there can not, by definition, be any way for the defender to make a genuine attempt- harsh but that is the law as it's written

The ref has been slated for doing his job!

First one, Lansbury fouls Shelvey, Shelvey then kicks out at Lansbury, Lansbury makes an absolute meal of it but still VC from Shelvey. I think the correct decision would have been red for Shelvey, yellow for Lansbury and a DFK to Newcastle.

Second one, I'm not sure if Lansbury once again makes a meal of it by waiting for Dummett or whether the ball has got slightly behind him and so he has to back up a little. Either way, very difficult to see from behind and at full speed. Once it is given as a foul, I don't see that it can be anything but red - there was an OGSO and no attempt to play the ball.

There was also a whistle from the crowd just before the second penalty - I wonder if the Newcastle defenders heard it and thought it was half-time, they certainly seemed to have switched off...

That's my considered opinion as a refereee, as a BHA fan I say Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah - Championship too easy is it? Hahahahahahahahahahah! UTA

I'm not a great fan of stopping games like American football but I'm sure if in this case if this may of occurred then different outcomes may of happened, As we know at match speed we see things happen or outcomes and our brains fill in the missing slots.

Last edited:
I'm not a great fan of stopping games like American football but I'm sure if in this case thais may of happened. Different outcomes may of happened, As we know at match speed we see things happen or outcomes and our brains fill in the missing slots.
I have watched the second penalty about six times and I am still not sure whether it was a foul or not and this is one of the problems with video technology for football - there is often no 100% correct decision.

In the latest law re-write "in the opinion of the referee" has been completely removed apart from in one new paragraph in law 5 which states:

Decisions will be made to the best of the referee’s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

Essentially this now means that everything is "in the opinion of the referee" unless it is technically incorrect in law and even then the "spirit of the game" allows a bit more room for manoeuvre. In this instance, whichever way the ref called it, I think it unlikely that a video ref would have overturned it.

The second one had to be a red. It could only be a yellow if a genuine attempt was made to play the ball. You can't tackle from behind so there can not, by definition, be any way for the defender to make a genuine attempt- harsh but that is the law as it's written

The ref has been slated for doing his job!
you have to actually foul someone in the first instance to kick that quote into life.....:foot:

I give you its soft, but from the refs angle, and the only time he will have seen it, it would have looked pretty nailed on. You could argue he was a little straight on it but his view was uninterrupted.

Only watched the 1st half, I think the 2 red decisions he made were correct in law but because all of the major decisions went Forest's way, 2 pens & red cards, 1 dead cert pen & 1 debatable pen for handball both not given plus a soft disallowed goal), you could understand why the barcodes were annoyed.

Yeah, both penalties/RC's were soft, but both were justified - even if I think the Forest striker should have been in the book as well for the disgraceful play acting after Shelvey actually completely failed to make any contact with him.

From the FA website:
Both Jonjo Shelvey and Paul Dummett have had their suspensions withdrawn with immediate effect after their wrongful dismissal claims were successful following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing.
The Newcastle United pair were dismissed for violent conduct and denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity respectively during the game against Nottingham Forest on 2 December 2016.

Good to see the FA backing their officials once again!

From the FA website:
Both Jonjo Shelvey and Paul Dummett have had their suspensions withdrawn with immediate effect after their wrongful dismissal claims were successful following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing.
The Newcastle United pair were dismissed for violent conduct and denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity respectively during the game against Nottingham Forest on 2 December 2016.

Good to see the FA backing their officials once again!

No point having an appeals process if its just there to "back the officials"

Also, Forest 1st goal, isn't that offside?

The Shelvey incident was a good spot from the AR that there does appear to be a kick out from Shelvey although he appeared to be fouled first as alluded to already here.

I think the Dummett penalty award is harsh. The referee doesnt have a good angle on it at all. The defending player chases the attacker, the attacker pretty much stops to take the shot and the defender's momentum bumps into him more than anything else. It looks like natural contact for me and the attacker didnt need much more of an invitation to hit the deck. No penalty, no simulation, natural contact. Play on.

Back