A&H

Footballing Crossroads

Reffing or Playing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Ryan Morris

Currently I am a level 7 referee, and 16 years old. I have just finished by first full season as a football referee. But I also play football for Stafford Rangers' Youth team, and this has prevented me from refereeing more matches this season (as I have often being playing).

My parents think that I should take a year (could rise to more) out of playing football, to concentrate on refereeing and earn myself some more money, as well as being appointed more refereeing matches. It should be noted that I do not referee because of the money element, I referee because I enjoy it.

I would like to go as high as possible up the refereeing ladder in the future. Just wanted to see what anyone else would do in this situation. I guess it comes down to whether I prefer reffing or playing football?

The Referee Store
I'm in the same position as you but 2 years younger I like refereeing sometimes more than playing. If you equally like both why not mention it to your manager and ask if you could alternate playing and reffing each week.

Mates, there's nobody who can make that decision but yourself. I can help with pros and cons but I can't decide for you. I chose to focus on reffing at the same time as you but then I was not a talented enough footballer to play at the national level and saw myself getting there as a referee instead. For many of us, it's the same story and we would all rather be playing. There's no reason why you can't continue to play and referee but it will mean sacrifices both ways -- you won't get the fixtures you want, and you won't play at the highest level that you can. You should also remember that referees don't peak in terms of ability until 45 then it continues for another 10 years or so and many only start after their playing career ends. There is still much time for you both to decide what you want to do.

As a word to the wise, and as a manager myself, don't bloody ask if you can alternate playing with refereeing. The answer is "no, if that's what you want, you should just referee every week because I need a commitment."

You will earn more money working part-time in a supermarket at 16 than you will as a referee.

At 16 there is so much more in front of you. You could make an impression as a player and get to a very good level - Not sure where Stafford are at the moment but do remember them being in the Conference at one point - or you may get released and drfit lower.

Whatever happens in terms of progression as a referee you have time on your side. Focus on the playing for now, that has a finite life span. Refereeing will always be there.

I would argue that if you are doing it primarily for the money, then as Tealeaf says, you would be better off getting another job!

However, do whichever gives you the most enjoyment. There is plenty of time for you to get somewhere with refereeing.

Back