A&H

Fonte on Bobby Madley

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
When Fonte conceded the penalty and was cautioned, the way that he reacted, shouting in Madley's face with so much aggression.......should have been walked.

The Referee Store
I absolutely agree with you. Although I don't like the current trend in the PL of giving an automatic caution for any and every penalty and so wouldn't have given the first yellow, his reaction was dissent at the very least and I'd be amazed if he managed to restrain his language to avoid OFFINABUS.

I totally degree and and see why fonte went crazy

madley brought that on to himself with poor decision making

I mean you could see a handful of shirt pretty clearly whether or not it was a foul is a different question, did look as though he pulled but looked like the player went down easily. However I agree that foul or not the offence was not a yellow card one but the dissent certainly was.

I mean you could see a handful of shirt pretty clearly whether or not it was a foul is a different question, did look as though he pulled but looked like the player went down easily. However I agree that foul or not the offence was not a yellow card one but the dissent certainly was.
Handful of shirt=holding. I think that might just be a free kick offence.

The point is whether play should have been continuing?

There was an injured player in front of the Saints goal. While we don't know if seriously injured, his position would have interfered with Saints goalkeeper. So after the initial attack ceased and Arsenal regained the ball, I think play should have been stopped.

Any thoughts?

The point is whether play should have been continuing?

There was an injured player in front of the Saints goal. While we don't know if seriously injured, his position would have interfered with Saints goalkeeper. So after the initial attack ceased and Arsenal regained the ball, I think play should have been stopped.

Any thoughts?
Totally agree he had the chance to stop play

TBH he made a complete balls of it

To answer the original question, I think a second yellow for Fonte for dissent would be a total over-reaction. Player behaviour isn't going to change overnight, and if referees are too over zealous in dealing with dissent they will just cause themselves even more problems.

He's just had a very harsh penalty awarded against him right at the end of the game away to one of the top teams with the score currently level. There aren't many players around who would say "thank you referee, excellent decision", and to show a second yellow here would, in my opinion, show a total lack of empathy for the game (a competency that event level 7 referees are expected to demonstrate).

I totally degree and and see why fonte went crazy

madley brought that on to himself with poor decision making

And with that post I question whether or not you even referee. No matter what the decision is, a reaction similar to that is NEVER justified. The player is in control of his own actions, not the referee. The player choose to act in such a way. Making excuses for players is wrong in situations that amount to dissent or OFFINABUS.

Reactions: one
To answer the original question, I think a second yellow for Fonte for dissent would be a total over-reaction. Player behaviour isn't going to change overnight, and if referees are too over zealous in dealing with dissent they will just cause themselves even more problems.

He's just had a very harsh penalty awarded against him right at the end of the game away to one of the top teams with the score currently level. There aren't many players around who would say "thank you referee, excellent decision", and to show a second yellow here would, in my opinion, show a total lack of empathy for the game (a competency that event level 7 referees are expected to demonstrate).

Glad we agree that 2nd yellow would've been wrong.....

Should've been a straight red.......

Back