A&H

Folkestone v Billericay

A&H International
He was in a decent position to see what was going on but was either not aware & or chose to ignore it.

My latest observer had some advice to me about not getting too involved in things that don't concern me. If a player goes down and everyone is making a fuss, bring the physio on and don't go getting closely involved in the process. Watch play and tell physio where to take the player off.

Same with the nets, I checked the nets, seen a hole, so started faffing with the pins etc. Leave it to the club.

My latest observer had some advice to me about not getting too involved in things that don't concern me. If a player goes down and everyone is making a fuss, bring the physio on and don't go getting closely involved in the process. Watch play and tell physio where to take the player off.

Same with the nets, I checked the nets, seen a hole, so started faffing with the pins etc. Leave it to the club.
Some sound advice from the Observer, though a few things, as to treatment there is a bit of a difference between getting involved in the process as opposed to monitoring treatment to ensure no delay as well as ensuring being aware of what’s happening around the surroundings. As to the goal nets I can see where the Observer is coming from though having to check the nets to identify a potential problem if all it takes to solve it is to move a pin/pegs about, then I don’t see any problem with that. However, if there is a shortage of pegs or tape, or a hole in the net that can’t quickly be tied up by some loose netting thread that’s already there, then that is definitely for the Home club to deal with.

Regarding the incident in the video, I might be showing my ignorance here, but what has the referee done wrong?

Okay, maybe he’s a bit too involved with the injury but other than taking the ball off the players like a head teacher to prevent any jiggerypokery, I’m not sure what else he is expected to do in that scenario? The game isn’t in any position to restart so shouldn’t be overly concerned who has the ball?

Okay, he could manage the players and instruct them to stop di**king around, but this is “semi pro” football and I’m not sure players should need managing in that scenario

Surely the only person in the wrong is the attacker who falls hook, line and sinker for the sh**housery and assaults the goalkeeper?

I could see from the clip what was happening and what was about to happen so if the Referee was more pro-active it could have avoided what happened next. This could have included just blowing his whistle.

Regarding the incident in the video, I might be showing my ignorance here, but what has the referee done wrong?

Okay, maybe he’s a bit too involved with the injury but other than taking the ball off the players like a head teacher to prevent any jiggerypokery, I’m not sure what else he is expected to do in that scenario? The game isn’t in any position to restart so shouldn’t be overly concerned who has the ball?

Okay, he could manage the players and instruct them to stop di**king around, but this is “semi pro” football and I’m not sure players should need managing in that scenario

Surely the only person in the wrong is the attacker who falls hook, line and sinker for the sh**housery and assaults the goalkeeper?
He hasn't done anything wrong, per se, but there's opportunity for development from the clip.

The first is that he seems unawares to what is happening, and I don't think he even sees it.

Thankfully his Assistant was aware and was able to give him the required information to arrive at the appropriate sanction.

Whilst the ball is dead, we need to stay focussed on everything that's going on around us and be close to any potential problems.

I see what you are saying but at all levels of football you have to manage these situations. They are a threat to your match control. After this happens you've now got a very aggrieved team playing a man down against a team who have conspired to have their number 9 sent off. A game that was under control could then become a very difficult game to manage.

Being close, knowing what's happening and letting the players know you can see it and this clip might never make it to refchat or go viral across social media. I've seen this in multiple groups. Usually when that happens it's because something unusual has happened and there is learning available.

The learning here is a break in play for assessment of an injured player's is not a break in play for the referee. Quite the opposite in fact.

Playing devil's advocate are the two players (GK and defender) guilty of showing a lack of respect for the game?

Yes they are & knew what they were doing & looks like they got off Scott free. But it should never have happened in the first place in the way that it did & James has hit the nail on the head with his comments.

Point of interest in the video, as far as I'm concerned. At what point immediately prior to, or during this incident, does the second ball appear on the pitch ?
As James rightly says, certainly an awareness issue here. Leave the injury to the physio, move away and keep an eye on things.

Point of interest in the video, as far as I'm concerned. At what point immediately prior to, or during this incident, does the second ball appear on the pitch ?
As James rightly says, certainly an awareness issue here. Leave the injury to the physio, move away and keep an eye on things.
Ah yes. I forgot to mention that. The keeper is holding a ball and then they are playing keepy up with another so why are there 2 balls on the pitch? That's the first sign something is not right unless we are in a very prolonged stoppage and players are keeping warm - but as you rightly say it all comes down to awareness of everything outside of the injury as well as making sure that is completed promptly.

From the clip i think the ref doesn't see it and takes advice from the assistant.
I think you are probably right, but the point being made by others is he should have seen it. Nothing is going to happen to the injured player on the floor, and a referee operating at this level really needs to be a lot more aware at stoppages.

other than taking the ball off the players like a head teacher to prevent any jiggerypokery, I’m not sure what else he is expected to do in that scenario?
I would do this. If there’s going to be a decent delay in restarting the game, I would hold on to the ball (though normally aiming to avoid players just deciding to restart play not piggy in the middle lol).

I would do this. If there’s going to be a decent delay in restarting the game, I would hold on to the ball (though normally aiming to avoid players just deciding to restart play not piggy in the middle lol).
I try and get the ball and then hold it in the correct hand to remind myself which team I’m dropping it to. Easy to lose track when your thoughts are mainly bloody ‘ell, his leg’s hanging off!

If that had been me and I'd realised what was going on I'd be moving towards the keeper and saying something like "let's get ready to restart lads, I need the ball to restart and lose the spare one please". There's any number of management techniques he could have used, but he didn't give him the opportunity as he had no idea what was going on and the risk it was causing..

Back