A&H

Flip throws

smair

Level 7 Referee
Drabbest game I've ever refereed today, no cards, no goals, no pens, nothing. Sheet rain for the first time this season so far (been a very lucky boy till today I must admit) and had players begging me to blow up early. The cheek!

However, there was one moment of absolute genius, incredulity and amazement. Early in the second half, blue team makes a sub. The sub is immediately put on the throw-ins and he proceeds to take a 10 yard run up, plant the ball on the ground, somersault over the ball with feet landing perfectly on the touchline and throw the ball, 100% legally, over every one of the players including the goalkeeper and thankfully over the crossbar as well.

A few of his teammates hugged him. He repeated the trick again but foul throwed (foul threw?), so his gaffer told him to stop. Anyone ever encountered one of these flip throw-ins before?

The Referee Store
In my playing days we had a guy that could do this but on games he threw normally. Many refs used to penalise foul throw for it even if legal so he stopped. He could lob the ball from touchline to 10 yards past the pen mark with his normal throw anyway. Was very "Stoke City"

In my playing days we had a guy that could do this but on games he threw normally. Many refs used to penalise foul throw for it even if legal so he stopped. He could lob the ball from touchline to 10 yards past the pen mark with his normal throw anyway. Was very "Stoke City"
Real shame, a wasted talent. Might I add this was U14s so there's a fair number of foul throws every game without a forward flip so I was very impressed!

Doesn't get much better at senior level I can assure you!
Love when you identify a player who throws it perfectly each time so you can focus more on the more handy players jostling for position - although they are few and far between. From looking at games on TV and in the stand it needs a clampdown. Full-backs are that concerned on making a Seamus Coleman marauding run down the wing beating three players and crossing yet when they take a throw they balls it up. Frustrating because it just breaks up the flow of the game and agitates teams

Stop the game, caution for c1, indirect free kick to opponents. Guaranteed that will end the foolishness.

Which c1 are you calling it, padders?

..and, if you caution, shouldn't the restart be a throw-in to the opposition as the ball is out of play at the time of the somersault?

Which c1 are you calling it, padders?

..and, if you caution, shouldn't the restart be a throw-in to the opposition as the ball is out of play at the time of the somersault?

I could go with the throw in......

Acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game......

Back