A&H

Flagging for a GK

Hang on guv... procedure for goal kick is 3 step: 1) in line with goal AREA to check ball, 2) move to edge of penalty area to check ball in/out of play (or 2nd last def if playing a short one) 3) then do one up the field to the 2nd last defender if the GK is obviously hoofing it. AFAIK this is rock solid - though some only do #1 at the start of each half (not me!).
While you're absolutely right to pull me up on my awful use of terminology on point 1, I've never been told to do point 2. Once the ball's placed, you don't hang around at the edge of the area, you get into position for an offside call ASAP!

If the GK is going to be played short the 2nd last defender will be somewhere around the edge of the PA anyway, so the distinction is moot. And if it's going long but is mishit, you should be able to fairly easily work out what's going on even from 40 yards away, especially if you continue to track the 2nd-last back towards his own PA if something goes wrong.

The Referee Store
While you're absolutely right to pull me up on my awful use of terminology on point 1, I've never been told to do point 2. Once the ball's placed, you don't hang around at the edge of the area, you get into position for an offside call ASAP!

If the GK is going to be played short the 2nd last defender will be somewhere around the edge of the PA anyway, so the distinction is moot. And if it's going long but is mishit, you should be able to fairly easily work out what's going on even from 40 yards away, especially if you continue to track the 2nd-last back towards his own PA if something goes wrong.
No, and... yes... not moot, you are either level with the GA, last defender, PA or last defender...
... and, for hoofs, hence, as you run from GA up towards half way, a little stutter step at level with the PA to show the observer you are aware of the need to watch for ball in/out...

(All copyright RefChat)

Not for the first time, am missing something. So, ball on/in yard box ready for goal kick, (position 1), AR is then to go to position 2? All well and good and its clear in black and white, not very practical though when the goal kick is played short or indeed not even forward, say for example, to position 1 as above, but on the other side of the field. AR is going to look a bit lost standing in either position 2 or 3 (hopefully not 3 as the 2nd last defender with ball is on other side of park, 6 yards from goal line)

i dont see anything in the book for the senario of a goal kick which goes backwards, or level, anything bar "forward" out of the 18.

The book may well have the diagram pictured above, however it be interesting to have a straw poll of who as AR, or expectations of an AR is to stand on the 18 until the ball is out of the 18 and no attackers have entered the box. Total guess, majority would be, ball out, ball on/in 6 yard box (staying back 1st one then glancing back unless suspected issues) as AR gets in line with 2nd last defender
As discussed lots of times on here, the ball moves faster than any of us, and, nobody is going to be able to get from 18yard box, to half way, (if thats where 2nd last defender is) by time ball is headed back by opponent, once yes, twice yes, for 90 mins, no

i dont see anything in the book for the senario of a goal kick which goes backwards, or level, anything bar "forward" out of the 18.

Probably doesn't matter. You go to position 2 to judge the in/out on that line of the penalty area. The middle referee presumably has to take control of judging in/out on the far side penalty line. That's how I see it anyway.

Then, if the ball goes side-ways and out, the defender is likely to play the ball forward, so you can hold position at 2 or crab back to the defender.

Not for the first time, am missing something. So, ball on/in yard box ready for goal kick, (position 1), AR is then to go to position 2? All well and good and its clear in black and white, not very practical though when the goal kick is played short or indeed not even forward, say for example, to position 1 as above, but on the other side of the field. AR is going to look a bit lost standing in either position 2 or 3 (hopefully not 3 as the 2nd last defender with ball is on other side of park, 6 yards from goal line)

Surely it is unwritten that you don't go to #2 if there is a second defender further back! You stay level with the 2nd last defender. If a defender stands on the goal line, you stay level with the ball because that's where the 2nd last defender is going to be when the ball is in play... I actually do this by the way... stops me getting bored on the line!

Surely it is unwritten that you don't go to #2 if there is a second defender further back! You stay level with the 2nd last defender. If a defender stands on the goal line, you stay level with the ball because that's where the 2nd last defender is going to be when the ball is in play... I actually do this by the way... stops me getting bored on the line!
The recommendation here has been to move to the top of the penalty area if there's a FK or GK within the penalty area, especially if the second last player from the defending team is inside that 16m imaginary line.

By positioning yourself at the top of the PA, you can see if opponents cut through the penalty area and you can confirm that the ball leaves the PA when kicked that way. From there, it's a REALLY easy drop to the defender (who is likely coming to meet you anyhow).

In the case of a short goal kick (or a field player taking the goal kick) position 3 is between positions 1 and 2 (you move towards goal line from position 2). From the time the ball is kicked and the time it is received by another player, it should give you enough time to move from 2 to 3. As Alex said, sometimes you don't have to move at all.

For position 3, the practical guidelines used to say offside "is a priority in any case" but it is now removed. I don't believe it is removed because it is no longer the priority but just to avoid any confusion, that is, most ARs were not taking position 2 because of it (same as what CM and SS are arguing for).

Well, for what it's worth, here's what I do:

* Check placement position at edge of penalty area (These are the Directives). The exception is if there is a defender further back than that in which case offside line applies (as I can still check from there).
* Move as fast as possible up to offside line as needed.

The IFAB guidance is not too great, to be honest. Are they really suggesting hovering on the edge of the penalty area and then trying to chase the ball to get up to the offside line before it is potentially headed to an offside player?

Back