A&H

Flagging for a GK

Nalbi

Level 4 Referee
Quick one gents yesterday I was on the line and it got me thinking, when you flag for a GK where should you positioned? Do you absolutely have to be next to the goal line to flag for it (ie jog all the way to the goal line and flag as you do with a corner?) or is it enough, especially from far away shots (yes I'm well aware that with long far away shots that are clearly going for a goal kick you don't have to flag anymore), to be within the penalty area or rather the 6 yards box? I personally tended to run down to the goal line on most occasions and flag there but there were numerous occasions where i was already near the 6 yards box and i thought it will be enough for me to flag there.

I'm interested in hearing what our esteemed observers/assessors think?

The Referee Store
I have missed an instruction that if its clearly going for a goal kick that the AR does not flag. As far as I still believe, whenever the ball goes out of play on the goal line or touchline, the AR should flag.

I have missed an instruction that if its clearly going for a goal kick that the AR does not flag. As far as I still believe, whenever the ball goes out of play on the goal line or touchline, the AR should flag.

As far as I'm aware it was a new guidance rolled out at the beginning of the season. But If I'm wrong I'm sure @lincs22 or the other observers on here can correct me.

The only slight changes I am aware of are, referees at elite levels have permission to take hand down at indirect free kicks which are clearly not a threat to the goal, i.e a short 6 yard pass from defensive, or a clear kick out of play. Referees (down to the individual) do not signal for goal kicks, (some countries signal goal kick pointing the opposite direction to what we do in the UK), but as for AR, ball out on your line, you flag

Happy to be educated otherwise.

I was always told get as close to the corner flag as possible. Naturally, if a shot is from far away then it's alright to signal in line with the 6 yard box. Nevertheless, where possible, always be close to the flag.

Without seeing any directive that I appear to have missed, it sounds possible that something was confirmed that as per above, you dont need to be on the flag itself to signal goal kick, esp when ball is moon bound over the bar into row Z

Without seeing any directive that I appear to have missed, it sounds possible that something was confirmed that as per above, you dont need to be on the flag itself to signal goal kick, esp when ball is moon bound over the bar into row Z

Yeah that's what I've been referring to, and that was my understanding too. I can't find anything in writing anywhere, but I'm sure that's what we've been told at the beginning of the season and I'm quite sure it was one of things mentioned/highlighted on proreferees.com

Sorry I maybe caused confusion there, you still flag, you just dont need to flag standing next to the corner flag

too many flags in one phrase

this year I've had assessors advise what they think we should do pre-match, assessors giving me development advice for not flagging every goal kick/corner and assessors not knowing the new guidance so it's not well known or understood which is incredibly frustrating

For me it makes sense to teach to flag near the goal line. I always tell my assistance to follow the ball all the way to the goal line and flag goal kicks near the goal line. Flagging near the goal line reinforces following the ball even if the ball goes out before you are near the goal line. It takes away the lazy thoughts. You know... i'm going to have to flag near the goal line anyway, I might as well follow the ball all the way even though I think its going to go out with no one near it.

How often have we seen inexperienced ARs being lazy thinking the ball is going out from a long ball and and stay with the second last defender 20 yards away from the goal line, only for the ball to slow down and the speedy winger to get to it just in time (or did he?) an the AR is struggling to get there still 10 yards out. The winger crosses it in and keeper claiming it went out. No credibility for whatever the decision is.

Page 190 of the 17/18 Laws of the Games. Practical Guidelines for Match Officials.

When the ball clearly passes over the goal line the AR does not need to raise the flag to indicate that the ball has left the field of play. If the goal kick or corner kick decision is obvious, it is not necessary to give a signal, especially when the referee gives a signal.

Page 19 of this PDF excerpt: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/assets/documents/LotG2017/LotG_17_18_EN_Guidelines.pdf

As a referee, you should know this because you should have read the good book when it went into effect.

As an observer, I have no idea how you do not know this, as you DEFINITELY should be up on the LotG.

Edited to note: It's also listed in the changes document here: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/273/073034_180517_Website_LoG_2017_18_Law_PG_changes_v5.0.pdf

this year I've had assessors advise what they think we should do pre-match, assessors giving me development advice for not flagging every goal kick/corner and assessors not knowing the new guidance so it's not well known or understood which is incredibly frustrating
20180426_111433.jpg
Covered in law that one... observers should know. Interesting, I always flag all corners and GKs and never been picked up for it, having not recalled this little snippet. Due another read methinks..:yawn:

Quick one gents yesterday I was on the line and it got me thinking, when you flag for a GK where should you positioned? Do you absolutely have to be next to the goal line to flag for it (ie jog all the way to the goal line and flag as you do with a corner?) or is it enough, especially from far away shots (yes I'm well aware that with long far away shots that are clearly going for a goal kick you don't have to flag anymore), to be within the penalty area or rather the 6 yards box? I personally tended to run down to the goal line on most occasions and flag there but there were numerous occasions where i was already near the 6 yards box and i thought it will be enough for me to flag there.

I'm interested in hearing what our esteemed observers/assessors think?
I thought this was covered in the good book but a quick scan says not.
I think it used to be the case that you should but now not so. I tend to indicate roughly in line with edge of goal area but not strictly or religiously and haven't had any problems with observers. I never tske any steps left or right, once it leaves and I am signalling it is from where i am, unless I am miles away, I'll get closer to the above position before signalling.

Page 190 of the 17/18 Laws of the Games. Practical Guidelines for Match Officials.

Page 19 of this PDF excerpt: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/assets/documents/LotG2017/LotG_17_18_EN_Guidelines.pdf

As a referee, you should know this because you should have read the good book when it went into effect.

As an observer, I have no idea how you do not know this, as you DEFINITELY should be up on the LotG.

Edited to note: It's also listed in the changes document here: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/273/073034_180517_Website_LoG_2017_18_Law_PG_changes_v5.0.pdf

I knew i read it somewhere, makes sense now as the first document i looked into (without double checking the dates) turned out to be last year's guidance.

In the prem, I have noticed that most GKs are flagged by the AR pointing the flag behind the corner flag i.e. just behind the goal line.
There are rare exceptions i.e. long ball goes out and AR flags level with goal area.

In grassroots I think it is perfectly acceptable to flag anywhere up to 8-9 m from the goal line - unless of course there is any doubt over ball in/out and/or play has been closer to the goal line. Then you should be flagging on the goal line.

I think it's worth pointing out that you're often expected to end up level with the goal line anyway, as it's common to be expected to check the placement of the ball for the GK. Therefore, why not get yourself in a good position to flag between the goal line-6 yard box, then adjust your position to the 6-yard box and rest there while the ball is collected?

I think it's worth pointing out that you're often expected to end up level with the goal line anyway, as it's common to be expected to check the placement of the ball for the GK. Therefore, why not get yourself in a good position to flag between the goal line-6 yard box, then adjust your position to the 6-yard box and rest there while the ball is collected?
Hang on guv... procedure for goal kick is 3 step: 1) in line with goal AREA to check ball, 2) move to edge of penalty area to check ball in/out of play (or 2nd last def if playing a short one) 3) then do one up the field to the 2nd last defender if the GK is obviously hoofing it. AFAIK this is rock solid - though some only do #1 at the start of each half (not me!).

Back