A&H

flag signals

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
i have been told many different things about assistant flag signals including referees and websites, i know it sounds really cheeky but would a experienced and higher leveled referee be able to make a short video or pictures please of all the correct signals please it is getting so confusing.

thanks

The Referee Store
What are you confused about? They're all in the LOTG!

They're page 92-93 of the 2012/2013 LOTG, and page 90-91 in the 2011/2012 LOTG :)

Don't be shy to practise them in front of the mirror either

I got a little confused on Saturday (first line all season) and was flagging a little randomly for the first 10 minutes until I got the hang of it (again). Watching the line, keeping in line with last defender AND watching which git on which team kicked the ball out of play is not a natural thing for an official who spends the rest of the season in the middle!

And I slipped in the mud in the first minute, stayed on my feet but landed awkwardly and have done something to my calf which I had to run on for 89 minutes! Just hoping it contiues healing so I will be fit for Saturday.

Worst thing about being on the line: you have to listen to overweight team officials moaning about everything! Easier to ignore them in the middle. :)

if you can forgive the corny american-ness of this, this video is pretty useful. i found i needed to remind myself of the signals the night before my first linesman appointment, and this is pretty good for giving you an idea (my only slight concern was that the 45 degree angle they place the flag at has always looked wrong to me, it needs to be maybe 10 degrees lower for throw ins...). dont forget to listen carefully to the referees instructions pre match and ask any questions you have.

EDIT: oh, and check with your referee about any specific signals for penalties and goal-line gola/no goal decisions, as the uk refs sometimes differ from US here as well i think...

I have not been assigned to a neutral assistant position yet, but since I'm only months away from level 7 and I want to apply for immediate promotion, I'm guessing the time for it will come very soon. I'm quite familiar with the signals as I quite often run the line (only as a club assistant) for a younger brothers' match if they need someone. Only thing that puzzles me is the flag signal used to indicate whether or not the goalkeeper has moved outside of the box whilst handling the ball. I've seen a few officials flag for this and they usually seem to raise the flag above their head, similar to the action used to indicate a substitution... Can a higher level referee confirm this for me?

Definitely not the same as for a substitution. The offence is a handball offence, therefore should be signalled as such (ie, for a foul)

Definitely not the same as for a substitution. The offence is a handball offence, therefore should be signalled as such (ie, for a foul)

I watched a Ryman Division One South match where this happened, and the assistant definitely raised his flag in a way similar to that of a substition. I don't know - Maybe he was trying to convey that it was a penalty box offence? (by holding the flag as you would a box?)

It wasn't the same signal used for a sub, but something similar. Just can't remember what. But if you are sure it is a foul offence, will flag as such if need ever arises. I was thinking along those lines anyway before this happened. Something that's bugging me but probably will rarely use. lol

Thanks.

As Dan stated,

What is GK handling outside the box? A foul.
What is the signal for a foul? Agitated flag in the hand of the direction the FK is going (ie, right), wait for the whistle, then give the direction.

No need for any 'sub-like' flag!

In addition, I have never given a foul for this. Some refs will tell you that if its only fractionally out, then speak to the GK, tell him to watch it next time. Obviously if he does it again then flag, or if it is obvious to everyone that its out.

Back